• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gofriller test file.The_Swan midi.

Share/Bookmark

Gofriller test file.The_Swan midi.

For the attention of all you new Gofriller users, here is the midi file of my version of The Swan.

http://joecavanagh.com/The_Swan.mid

Midi Ch 1 Gofriller
    Midi Ch 2 Harp 1
    Midi Ch 3 Harp 2

This midi file can be used to check that the Gofriller is responding properly in your sequencer rig.
    I am unable to check whether it works with Finale.

If after a while you find yourself saying...." Hmmmm its Ok but, I wouldnt have put the vibrato there myself.........or..........I dont agree with that portamento there........"

Good, change it any way you want.
    Your version of this classic will probably be different than mine, just as Fabio's version represented his view of the piece.

That is as it should be, with this versatile and highly personal instrument.

I have tested this in the new K2 player, and with the old Kontakt Player, and with full Kontakt 2.
    This midi file was made with SX 2 but should work with any sequencer (..........he said, hopefully.....)

Here is the mp3 of my version.

http://joecavanagh.com/Audio/The_Swan_Final.mp3

regards Joe

Re: Gofriller test file.The_Swan midi.

Joe:

This is an absolutely lovely rendition of The Swan. The new Gofriller sounds fantastic! (I listened to the MP3 version). I will definitely add this new VST instrument to my have to buy list. You did a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTewes
    Joe:

This is an absolutely lovely rendition of The Swan. The new Gofriller sounds fantastic! (I listened to the MP3 version). I will definitely add this new VST instrument to my have to buy list. You did a great job!
    Thank you Robert for those kind words.
    In some ways it was a foolhardy choice to try and mock-up one of the all-time favourites of the Cello repetoire, but at least it gives many people the chance to form a judgement of the Gofrillers capabilities.

regards Joe

Joe,

This is one of my favorite demos and you have done the Gofriller great justice with your redition. And to have the midi file is like icing on the cake. I will study what you have done and I hope others take advantage of this learning experience.

Gary Garritan

Thank you for both the .mid and the rendered. Playback loops as I write.

Your gift gives me two things immediately:
    1) a test of my studio monitor/DSP board combination; and
    2) a reaffirmation of the quality of Garriton sounds.

At a point towards the end, the 'cello resonates like a French Horn - I'll pinpoint this, if you'd like - and to me that's one of the most beautiful renderings of "real" playing possible.

Paul Desmond could make his Alto sound like a reed flute, a recorder . . . The particular album name escapes me at the moment (until the instant I hit "Post Reply," of course), but on one of the Brubeck tours Desmond's Alto was almost unrecognizeable as a sax. I used to point this out to students as a goal: to make their instrument so much a part of themselves that what came out was singing through the instrument, and singing with shifts in timbre, shifts in nuance, and a control of a range of tones that expressed one's self and sounded (to the listener) as though it were effortless. Your orchestration of The Swan does just this.

Thank you.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Joe,

This is one of my favorite demos and you have done the Gofriller great justice with your rendition. And to have the midi file is like icing on the cake. I will study what you have done and I hope others take advantage of this learning experience.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks Gary.
    I hope people will get some benefit from looking at it.
    People should feel free to modify it....play with the controllers.... tempo map...... different IR's.
    This instrument repays a little study. !!

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette
    Thank you for both the .mid and the rendered.

Joe
    Cheers Joe, thanks for commenting.

There is a string quartet rehearsal once a week at my house (my wife plays violin).
    So I am under no illusions about the gap that exists between samples and the real thing.

There is a universe of nuances that exist with the live musicians, that one guy and a computer is not able to create.

Personally........I am content with that.

However, the Garritan solo strings, have brought so many new performance nuances to the party, that it is now possible to sculpt fantastically expressive music.

In fact, tonight while the Qtet were rehearsing downstairs, I was upstairs writing an arrangement for them using the Stradi and the Gofriller ( and the GPO solo viola).

The gap still exists, but at least we are in the same universe now.

regards Joe

Just wanted to thank you for the midi file and report that all went well when I opened it in Finale07. I used GPOKP2, loaded the Gofriller Cello (takes forever to load), Garritan Harps 1 & 2, adjusted the tempo and the balance between instruments and it plays fine. Nice rendition. Do you recall what tempo marking you used? Thanks again, John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears
    Do you recall what tempo marking you used? Thanks again, John
    Hi John, the average tempo I used is about 63 bpm.
    Although in my original file there are about 50 or 60 different entries in the Tempo Map.
    I have no idea if Finale is able to respond to Tempo Map data that is included in a midi file.

When I re-import the midi file into my sequencer, it reads the Tempo Map data.

regards Joe

Go Back to forum