• Register
  • Help

Topic: Real world opinions on Gold XP

Share/Bookmark

Real world opinions on Gold XP

Hello friends, I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade into the XP version of EWQLSO. I don't really have the money but the group buy IS enticing. However, I'm not completely sure I want EWQLSO to be my future of strings. I'm leaning hard towards converting towards VLS, but it my be my frustration with EW is the things that XP addresses. Can anyone address how well the QLegato patches work? And if the transitions betweens layers (ie Mp-FFF) is any smoother with the XP upgrades? I' just tired of wasting money on samples that i don't use, and I don't want to spend a bunch on an upgrade that will be marginal compared to what I've already got. Thanks for the advice

J-

Re: Real world opinions on Gold XP

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Hello friends, I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade into the XP version of EWQLSO. I don't really have the money but the group buy IS enticing. However, I'm not completely sure I want EWQLSO to be my future of strings. I'm leaning hard towards converting towards VLS, but it my be my frustration with EW is the things that XP addresses. Can anyone address how well the QLegato patches work? And if the transitions betweens layers (ie Mp-FFF) is any smoother with the XP upgrades? I' just tired of wasting money on samples that i don't use, and I don't want to spend a bunch on an upgrade that will be marginal compared to what I've already got. Thanks for the advice

J-
    I upgraded to gold xp, and highly recommend it. However, I was pretty happy with the original, and it doesn't sound like you are, so I'm not sure xp will change your mind.

I'm a bit curious; if you don't have the money for the group buy, which is a great deal, how the heck you gonna afford VSL?

Same here...I'm also very happy with XP, but liked regular Gold before it. Qlegato works surprisingly well on most instruments (considering it's not "real" legato or scripted), it's def a big improvement when trying to do legato lines.
    I never found the velocity transitions in Gold to be particularly rough, the K2 VSL content isn't any smoother as far as I'm concerned.

I also find the round robin repetitions in XP to be extremely useful. Plus the organization is better which makes it faster to work with. Overall a big improvement IMO, but if you didn't like original Gold I can't guarantee you'll like this...

matto

Quote Originally Posted by wja
    I upgraded to gold xp, and highly recommend it. However, I was pretty happy with the original, and it doesn't sound like you are, so I'm not sure xp will change your mind.

I'm a bit curious; if you don't have the money for the group buy, which is a great deal, how the heck you gonna afford VSL?

Oh I can't afford VSL - I just don't want to spend $300 bucks if I'm not going to find it useful.

Regarding the velocity splits I find it most annoying with brass instruments. I've tried just about everything I can but I can not make the brass in EWQLSO sound anything like the demos. It just sounds so fake when I do it. That's a real disappointment. But who knows, it's probably all user error. I don't do enough orchestra stuff to be really super proficient - but I do enough for my lack of perfect results to drive me absolutely nuts!

I love Gold XP. Very useable and sounds amazing. You could always upgrade to Gold XP and then supplement your library with a great brass collection, like Project Sam brass, for instance.

Mike

Gold XP was a great improvement over gold for me, nothing really changes, just more aticulations, I really love the short round robin string patches and lots of good effects and mod patches. Just overall more articulations, and better ones mostly then what comes with Gold. The group buy is a good way to improve on that library, however, I doubt it will be your one stop shop. But the lower upgrade price seems like something to do in order to make it more usuable, but you will probally need to supplement it with other libraries down the road.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Oh I can't afford VSL - I just don't want to spend $300 bucks if I'm not going to find it useful.

Regarding the velocity splits I find it most annoying with brass instruments. I've tried just about everything I can but I can not make the brass in EWQLSO sound anything like the demos. It just sounds so fake when I do it. That's a real disappointment. But who knows, it's probably all user error. I don't do enough orchestra stuff to be really super proficient - but I do enough for my lack of perfect results to drive me absolutely nuts!
    I agree about the brass velocity splits. Have you considered getting Sam Brass?

I don't enjoy the QLEgato patches. I'm still using the old butter legato ones from regular gold for strings... And the new legato patch for the Egnlish Horn for example.

Lots of new techniques though. Much valued from me Layers seem to me to be atad better but, not perfect.

EW, is EW, and nothing changes in every product they have. With the good and the bad. I mean they are making a piano with 3 mic positions. Quite useless I personally think, but they don't. And they have the 3 mic things all over the place. Well enough. It means that their products mix perfectly with each other!

As said before, if you liked regular you will like xp pro, if not then better bypass it. But 300$ is a great price, no argue there!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    I mean they are making a piano with 3 mic positions. Quite useless I personally think.
    Just wondering if you've ever used Sampletekk's Black Grand...?
    It's one of my most used pianos, and one of the main reasons (besides the great sound and quality programming) is that I can pick the type of miking that best fits the track I happen to be working on...makes a BIG difference IMHO.

No, I've not tried the Black Grand...

But if you say so, no reason not to believe it.

and the 3 mics work brilliantly with Platinum, as far as I've heard so no problems there...

I am still under a shock for the 270 uncompressed GB for the EW piano(s)! anyways, not this discussion in here.

I really like EW and for the price you get some very good tools. Not perfect but not everyone can afford the more expensive VSL, at least not for now. But Jay has been more than convincing with his demos...

Go Back to forum