• Register
  • Help

Topic: Authentic African percussion needed urgently

Share/Bookmark

Authentic African percussion needed urgently

Hi there,

Could really do with some help, pretty quickly on finding some authentic African percussion and/or flute & horn sounds.

I have just taken on a job for charity (a 5 minute documentary featuring HIV orphans in Swaziland) and need to finish it by the end of the week for the client, Hope HIV.

I have some African percussion including kalimba, which I used on another recent charity job, but I would really like to use at least one authentic instrument, preferably from Swaziland or South Africa. I know these include the kudu horn, the calabash, rattles & a reed flute amongst others.
    Or some African voices would be good too, as long as they are single notes or short phrases rather than whole loops.

I would be really grateful if any of you knew where or if such a library or such sounds exists. Or if you have any alternative ideas.

Moreover, as it is for charity, the cheaper - preferably free! - the better.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrea

Re: Authentic African percussion needed urgently

Spectrasonics 'Heart of Africa' vol 1 & 2 might interest you. It's not for free, but it will probably save you lots of time
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/libraries.php

Good luck with the Project
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

The Dorumalaia disc of ethnic percussion is great. It has 230 instruments, most of which have been very extensively multi-sampled. It comes as wav, so you need to do the programming yourself, but that's not too much of a problem. It's also extremely cheap!!! The only problem is I can't find it at the moment. Their site seems to be down for having used it's monthly bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    The Dorumalaia disc of ethnic percussion is great. It has 230 instruments, most of which have been very extensively multi-sampled. It comes as wav, so you need to do the programming yourself, but that's not too much of a problem. It's also extremely cheap!!! The only problem is I can't find it at the moment. Their site seems to be down for having used it's monthly bandwidth.
    A second vote for Doru Malia. I spend a long time getting the whole collection into giga2 format, and them organizing by location ( continent / country etc. ) ...but the Doru Malia people weren't interested in having access to my work.

Search for the RAW sample library. It's donationware, and has a great log drum amongst its goodies.

I've used on Heart of Africa on several international projects with African orphans. It's got some great classic stuff and it's already programmed so you can work pretty quickly. It's got multi-samples and phrases which are pretty cool. If you like Lion King you'll like Heart of Africa as my understanding it's the same core content.

Also the liner notes say something about a portion of the sales going to help charity in Africa. Eric Persing may have a heart and send you one - who knows He's a really nice guy!

J-

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    I've used on Heart of Africa on several international projects with African orphans. It's got some great classic stuff and it's already programmed so you can work pretty quickly. It's got multi-samples and phrases which are pretty cool. If you like Lion King you'll like Heart of Africa as my understanding it's the same core content.

Also the liner notes say something about a portion of the sales going to help charity in Africa. Eric Persing may have a heart and send you one - who knows He's a really nice guy!

J-
    I also have heard good things about Heart of Africa and have personally heard some of the sounds from it. I liked what I heard, but looki for the free sounds to. Free sounds are often very good when it comes to short sounds, which a lot of african music is made of.

Voices of Africa has African vocals. They are certainly nothing special but for $30 it might be worth it just to have some proper African vocals.
    http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=189

Doru Malaia's samples should be a good addition.
    Steve_Karl: He (Doru himself) died of cancer last year, which is maybe why the people who run his site now are not that bothered.
    The address is: www.dorumalaia2.com - I guess it'll be back up 1. April.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito
    Steve_Karl: He (Doru himself) died of cancer last year, which is maybe why the people who run his site now are not that bothered.
    The address is: www.dorumalaia2.com - I guess it'll be back up 1. April.
    Thank you. Yes. I was aware of his death. Maybe I'll email again later in the spring and see if they have interest.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    Search for the RAW sample library. It's donationware, and has a great log drum amongst its goodies.
    yeah - the log drum would work well in this context I think, while it's from Nigeria though.

It's http://www.herman-witkam.com/raw/

Go Back to forum