• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Kontakt2 Player (content) Installation and original GPO

Share/Bookmark

GPO Kontakt2 Player (content) Installation and original GPO

First, congrats on the release of the K2 Player for GPO. Installed/authorized o.k... and nice to see GPO and Strad 2 side by side inside the Player (and, all being well, Gofriller also in a few days time!).
    BUT.. here's the problem..
    I (as will be the case for most people), also have the original GPO Player installed (Mac here).
    The Library (audio) files for the original version (.nks) are installed on an external disk, in a folder named "GPO Library". For each .nks file, there is an accompanying .nkc file (small).
    When I installed the new KP2 version, I opted to install its Library Folder next to the original, so I now have "GPO Library", and "GPO KP2 Library" side by side. The GPO KP2 folder contains, among other things, the small .nkc files, but not the .nks files (the actual audio).. which seems perfectly normal to me .
    HOWEVER..
    This means that, whenever I try to load a GPO Instrument into the K2 Player, I get the non-surprising "Samples Missing" dialog. I can easily navigate to the original GPO Library folder, and eventually load the samples.
    But this means I shall have to resave absolutely every Instrument in the GPO KP2 Instrument library!

Here are my options..
    1) Do what I have just described (really don't want to have to do that!)
    2) Move the .nks files into the GPO KP2 Library folder (which will work, but now any previous projects using the original GPO .. or indeed the full Konatkt 1 or 2.. will not find the samples)
    3) Copy the .nks files into the GPO KP2 Library folder (unnecessary waste of disk space!.. Although this does seem to be the solution I shall choose, at least for the time being)
    4) Move all the other content from the GPO KP2 Library folder into the original GPO Library folder (and redirect KP2 in the Instrument "Info" dialog).
    But that would mean overwriting the original .nkc files, and (because I have no idea what those files actually do!), I don't know if that would make things no longer work in the original GPO Player.

I optimistically tried placing aliases ("shortcuts" for PC folks ) of the .nks files in the GPO KP2 Library folder.. but that didn't work. This is a pity, because that would have been the ideal solution.

What is the recommended procedure, please?
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Re: GPO Kontakt2 Player (content) Installation and original GPO

Did you see Tony's post in the General Section? He has provided some detailed instructions that cleared things up for me. You might have to copy the monolith files to wherever you have installed KP2 though, I don't know if there is anyway around that. Good luck! John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears
    You might have to copy the monolith files to wherever you have installed KP2 though, I don't know if there is anyway around that. Good luck! John
    That's what I eventually did! (but what an unnecessary waste of disk space!) Thanks
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    I optimistically tried placing aliases ("shortcuts" for PC folks ) of the .nks files in the GPO KP2 Library folder.. but that didn't work. This is a pity, because that would have been the ideal solution.
    Don't make aliases, make symlinks. You need to use the Terminal app to do this. When in the terminal type "man ln" for how to do this. The difference is an app has to be spcifically written to recognize aliases, whereas symlinks are handled by the OS.

As I've found thus far, if you want both GPO-1 and GPO-2 on your system, you have to have two copies of the .nks files. Without getting to complex, that is...

I suppose one might try a trick to have the two versions share the same directory structure. Essentially, the 'Instruments' directories would overlap such that the 'Dry' and 'Wet Audition' folders from GPO-1 would be peers to the GPO-2 numbered directories. However, there would be a collision is the files in the Multi directories, which would require renaming them with an appropriate "K1" or "K2" in the filename. And then you'd probably have to alter registry entries to redirect the paths...

I've yet to try this, but will report if I get the time (and courage to potentially mess up my current install! )

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F
    Don't make aliases, make symlinks. You need to use the Terminal app to do this. When in the terminal type "man ln" for how to do this. The difference is an app has to be spcifically written to recognize aliases, whereas symlinks are handled by the OS.
    Thanks for the tip
    I'll read up a bit more on that first (I suspect I have a "Terminal illness"! )

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    Thanks for the tip
    I'll read up a bit more on that first (I suspect I have a "Terminal illness"! )
    I'm running GPO on my PC, my powerbook is too slow. If you have trouble creating the symlinks, tell me the exact folders where the files reside and I can give you the exact commands to type into the terminal.

Hi Craig,
    I don't know if I did this correctly.. (I temporarily moved my real copies of the .nks files out of the way)
    In the Terminal I did (e.g. for the 1st .nks file)..

ln -s /Volumes/Music Lib Docs/Music Lib Files/GPO Library/GPO_Library_part1.nks ... /Users/vic/Desktop

This did create a Symbolic Link on my Desktop (looks the same as an alias, right?). I then copied that file to the correct folder for GPO KP2.
    I did the same for the two other .nks files.

I then launched the K2 Player.
    Samples were still missing

What did I do wrong?

Ahh, I hadn't picked up on the fact that you guys were talking Mac, and therefore can play with the UNIX interface under the covers. Clever!

Always wished PCs had that capability. Best they have is mounting directories to look at other volumes.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Well, Mark, if you want to play around with a Mac, maybe you could start by porting all your brilliant Cubase MIDI FX over to it!

Go Back to forum