• Register
  • Help

Topic: BackBeat and Burning Grooves...

Share/Bookmark

BackBeat and Burning Grooves...

For those of you who own Backbeat and/or Burning Grooves: Now that you you've used them, which do you find is the most useful and why? Also, does Burning Grooves have fills?

I definitely am getting Liquid Grooves. I also have Drums on Demand, Session Loops, etc. so I don't want to invest in yet more drums that are redundant (however I know Spectrasonic stuff is so top notch). I'm trying to decide whether to add BackBeat or Burning Grooves, or just stick with Liquid Grooves. TV/film stuff as well as rock, pop, and contemporary Country. Thanks.

Re: BackBeat and Burning Grooves...

Quote Originally Posted by synthuser
    BB's drum pitches are very tight and a bit higher than I am used to, especially on the snares.
    I noticed that in the demos too. That's why it's good hearing from people who have been using the libraries since the opinions and experiences are often so different from the initial expectations. Do you find you use them as much as you expected to?

Backbeat is great, though Spectrosonics needs to come out with another acoustic drum expander because you will find your favorite kits fast, and use them tons. There are a good variety of grooves, but not all the kits will sound like you want them to, different tone to them that won't work for all songs. backbeat is fantastic, I have just used to much. Burning grooves, Though I don't have the xpander, I had it before. Really great grooves as well, but they are more for hyped up stuff, more effected if I remember correcly. They won't be good for your mellow acoustic song, hence the name I guess.

If you want more upbeat aggressive kits, you can also check out ilio's stark raving beats. There are effected stuff, and also some kickin acoustic kits. My only complaint with that is that the drum sounds are VERY bright, so after you apply mastering eq, they are a bit too sizzly, i usually end up rolling off some of the high frequencies on those to tame it.
    www.energiestudios.com

One thing to note on the Burning Grooves Xpander is that it has a really useful additional selection of "solo'ed" drum grooves (snare only, hi-hat only, kick only, etc.) which is different than the original BG sample library, and is very useful to have when using with other Xpanders.

Burning Grooves is the only SAGE Xpander that has a big section of these individual drum grooves.

The tight sound is what makes me hesitate although from the demos, I like the groove itself. I like the idea of turning RMX into my go-to drum source, but I'm debating whether to get EZ Drummer or Drumcore for the more acoustic stuff. I bought alot of drum loops but always end up going back to MIDI drums so I can customize to what I hear in my head. The loops always fall short in that I either can't find the fill I want, or if I do, it's from a totally different sounding kit; or, the loops get me 3/4 through the song then I don't have ones to complete it the way I want. So I always go back to MIDI. But then the problem with the MIDI, although I can get the beats I want, suffer from either the kit sound and programming particularly of hi hats, etc. It's the typical drum problem.

With RMX, the loops are expertly done, and I figure if I can't get exactly what I want, at least with moving the slices or with chaos or edit groups, etc. it may still outshine an "exactly-what-I-want-sequence" played with an inferior kit.

In fact, I took a midi track that wasn't quite happening with my drum samples and used RMX in kit mode (customized) and it sounds great, except for the cymbals that I still need to make work. I would like more kit choices, because I really would love to just use RMX instead of having 50 things. Maybe I'll explore more of my REX files in it.

Does Backbeat or Burning have kits (mode)? I thought I read they don't.

Eric, when you mentioned BG's solo grooves in usage with other expanders, you meant you could use let's say the BG snare with a BB groove that you muted the snare on, right? What I would like you to have meant was that BB singles out the elements like in RMX core library.

Quote Originally Posted by macmuse
    I bought alot of drum loops but always end up going back to MIDI drums so I can customize to what I hear in my head. The loops always fall short in that I either can't find the fill I want, or if I do, it's from a totally different sounding kit; or, the loops get me 3/4 through the song then I don't have ones to complete it the way I want. So I always go back to MIDI. But then the problem with the MIDI, although I can get the beats I want, suffer from either the kit sound and programming particularly of hi hats, etc. It's the typical drum problem...
    THIS is exactly why I keep praying (literally) that Spectrasonics will come up with a full, multi-sampled drum module to go along with what they've given us in RMX.

Of course, if you could see me, you would know that I am NOT holding my breath for that to happen -- at this point, I don't expect it. But you KNOW they'd do it wonderfully, and it would give us the ability to use their world-class sounds and grooves, but still have the fully expressive touch of something like EZ Drummer or Addictive Drums.

I know some will say, "Just buy EZ Drummer!" or BFD or whatever -- after all, this is not exactly an empty niche. But I still insist that Spectrasonics could make a late entry into the multi-sampled drums field that would make us all salivate. Can you imagine programming your own delicately realistic acoustic drum tracks, and then having all those RMX effects to throw on there?!?

I weep at the thought of it...

Guys - roll your own! Seriously, the rex file import feature is heavily used in my corner of the world. Man, if I was a drummer the first thing I'd do is pump out a well-recorded, beat-sliced library of useful grooves pre-formatted for RMX plus the individual hits/isolated groove elements/fills. Somebody will make some serious shekels from this product (or series of products!)

Quote Originally Posted by macmuse
    The tight sound is what makes me hesitate although from the demos, I like the groove itself.
    Listen to all the demos. Lots of the grooves don't have high tuned sounds.

Does Backbeat or Burning have kits (mode)? I thought I read they don't.
    No. None of the Xpanders do.

The reason is because Kit mode is very limited in RMX (only single velocity samples...so it works best for more electronic sounds.)

Eric, when you mentioned BG's solo grooves in usage with other expanders, you meant you could use let's say the BG snare with a BB groove that you muted the snare on, right?
    Right...very easy to do.

What I would like you to have meant was that BB singles out the elements like in RMX core library.
    Not possible, since the grooves in the Xpanders were played totally live.

The core library stuff is mostly programmed/electronic....so total isolation is possible.

Go Back to forum