• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Super-Annoying Bug in Kontakt Player 2.2.1

Share/Bookmark

New Super-Annoying Bug in Kontakt Player 2.2.1

Hi everybody,
    I recently updated to the new Kontakt 2.2.1 (2.2.1.010 to be exact) player to use V2 of GPO. Well, good news is the new GPO works fantastically! The bad news is that now, after opening the Kontakt window, the Strad and Gofriller take at least 10 times as long to load their patches!

This has been driving me nuts since I upgraded. I went back and installed the 2.2.0 (2.2.0.005) version to see if it would fix the problem, it shows the Strad, Cello and new GPO 2.2.0 and loads the Strad and Cello at normal speed, but sure enough will not work for GPO 2.0 because it was created for 2.2.1. For good measure, I then installed 2.2.1 again hoping my problem might have been cured somehow, but I went right back to the Gofriller and Strad problems.

So here is my dilemna - stay on 2.2.0 to use the Strad and Gofriller, or move to 2.2.1 to use GPO 2. What's a musician to do? Hmmm...chamber music with 2 fantastic instruments or brand new orchestra...

Seriously, has anybody else run into this? My platform is Windows XP Pro. Between this and the Gofriller Finale patch bug, it has been a week of bad luck for me. Anybody have any idea how to fix this? I can't wait for the new Garritan sample player!!!!!

Thanks,
    JS

Re: New Super-Annoying Bug in Kontakt Player 2.2.1

I have exactly the same problem.
    It seems like the new player is searching before loading those samples.

David

I just reported the same isue but didn't put it into this section of the forum.
    Here's the link.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=52607

Fred

I timed it 2 miunutes 30 seconds for the strad ver 1 samples to load ready for use.

David

Ok, at least we can all confirm that there is a bug of some kind. Hopefully NI will be able to get it straightened out quick. As far as I can tell there is no workaround, NI seems to have removed some of the database maintenance functionality with the new build. There is something not right, when I tell Kontakt specifically where to look for samples in the library path section (I don't remember exactly what it's called but it's tab 5 I think in options), it still shows all my libraries, regardless of where exactly I tell it to look. Anybody know how to force Kontakt to rebuild the library database? Maybe it would help, probably won't, but its worth a shot.
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by aconquija
    Ok, at least we can all confirm that there is a bug of some kind. Hopefully NI will be able to get it straightened out quick. As far as I can tell there is no workaround, NI seems to have removed some of the database maintenance functionality with the new build. There is something not right, when I tell Kontakt specifically where to look for samples in the library path section (I don't remember exactly what it's called but it's tab 5 I think in options), it still shows all my libraries, regardless of where exactly I tell it to look. Anybody know how to force Kontakt to rebuild the library database? Maybe it would help, probably won't, but its worth a shot.
    JS
    Has anybody figured out any settings that fix this?

NI seems to have removed some of the database maintenance functionality with the new build. There is something not right, when I tell Kontakt specifically where to look for samples in the library path section (I don't remember exactly what it's called but it's tab 5 I think in options), it still shows all my libraries, regardless of where exactly I tell it to look. Anybody know how to force Kontakt to rebuild the library database?
    There was never any database maintenance functionality in the Kontakt Player 2. KP2's "database" is the set of registered libraries; you set the path to each library in its "Info" box, and if you add any instruments/multis to a library, the "database" automatically gets updated. If don't think Options | Search has any function in KP2. It's a remnant from K2, that NI forgot to remove.

If you click a library's Instruments or Multis button, you will only see the Instruments/Multis of that library.

Nickie,
    Thanks for explaining that. It is strange that NI would leave features built into their player like that, it is VERY misleading and confusing. I had read posts in other forums on NI's site regarding rebuilding the database and I saw the settings, so I just assumed it had to be relevant rather than being an unremoved, non-functional feature from the full Kontakt program (I have never used the actual Kontakt program, all I have used is the player, so I had no idea about this).

Now I am completely out of theories as to the cause of this bug. After reading Gary's post in the other forum, however, I am really beginning to understand what the Garritan company is up against. I can see (read) just how nuts everybody is going with all the issues the Garritan community is running into lately. In light of everything, I have nothing but admiration for what they are doing.

Since I am mainly a notation person, I am not overly familiar with NI outside of the realm of Garritan and Finale software, but I can definitely say NI needs to get their act together. They are alienating a lot of customers and a very good company in Garritan, and I can imagine the financial ramifications of this might be pretty severe if they don't have a solid user base for their other products. I'm sure that if they lose their Finale distribution that it will cost them quite a bit in lost royalties. It will be very interesting to watch as the Garritan/NI/MakeMusic landscape changes over the next 6-12 months.
    JS

Nickie,
    Thanks for explaining that. It is strange that NI would leave features built into their player like that, it is VERY misleading and confusing.
    To be honest, the Options | Search folder setting does seem to have one implication: If you put a "Instruments" and a "Multis" subfolder in a folder you point to in Options | Search, all instruments/multis placed in these subfolders are accessible in KP2's "User Instruments" and "User Multis". Only, it seems you cannot load them, unless they belong to a registered library, in which case you could just as well put them in the main folder of that library and then access them from that library's Instrument/Multi menu.

So, I really don't know what the Search tab and "User Instruments" and "User Multis" are for, except maybe "User Multis" could hold cross-library multis?

EDIT: Nope, cross-library multis are not possible.

Go Back to forum