• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wondering About How Vista Performs for Audio Apps?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Wondering About How Vista Performs for Audio Apps?

I've been wondering about how well Vista will perform for DAWs in comparison to XP for quite awhile. I've not seen anything convincing until this:

http://rainrecording.co.uk/vista/performance

I'm a fan of Rain computers (though I cant afford one myself ) and they have provided what I think is a valid, fair performance comparison. When I think back on it, I was reluctant to move to XP because I thought it would be too bloated and performance would decrease in comparison to Windows 98. Boy was I wrong! From the looks of this article we might be able to say the same about Vista. I buy into their theory that Vista is more new technology friendly than XP, especially when it comes to multi core processors.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Wondering About How Vista Performs for Audio Apps?

Each system program is a child of its time and its environment/hardware, where it was programmed.

It can become only better.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    I've been wondering about how well Vista will perform for DAWs in comparison to XP for quite awhile. I-LFO
    Sonar 6 x64 edition seems to work quite well with Vista x64. That's assuming you have pretty close to current hardware and, of course, enough RAM. You might want to go to the Sonar site where they discuss the advantages of 64 bit computing on your DAW.

If you're running regular Vista x32, make sure you have enough RAM also.

Keith Walls

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Despite all the early paranoia about it - most people I have talked to have had no problems with the apps in VISTA - the problems they are having are driver support - still not a big rush to get compatible drivers out there - still!
    Hi Stephen,

you are right. In this days this is a big problem, but I think in the future all software providers will make new drivers available.

That was always so. Give them some more time. I am sure that they are all working for best results... .

Best
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum