• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: In this day and age....

Share/Bookmark

In this day and age....

It is beyond belief that we have to manually copy files in order to get an update to work. There is no reason K2P installer should not find the old library and either reference it from it's current placement or find the samples and move them during the install process. Nice job NI

Flip side is GPO is still incredible, more so now with the K2P enhancements.

Re: In this day and age....

I second that sentiment.

I am a musician, and only barely knowledgable of all things computer.
    when people start using acronyms and geek-speak to describe things, they lose me completely.

There is NO reason why I should have to do all the manual install and file copying that I've had to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CHudson
    It is beyond belief that we have to manually copy files in order to get an update to work. There is no reason K2P installer should not find the old library and either reference it from it's current placement or find the samples and move them during the install process. Nice job NI

Flip side is GPO is still incredible, more so now with the K2P enhancements.
    We are not happy about this either. Native Instruments response to this is:
    "I know it isn't easy for non-technical users, but there is no other solution. This is the way it will work for ALL KP1 to KP2 library updates, not just Garritan."
    To make this easier, Tony found a way to a batch file to automatically move the sample files to the right folders. You can find it here: http://www.garritan.com/Kontakt2PlayerUpdate.html It is PC only and we'll look into a Mac version as well.

Gary Garritan

If you plan on using both the K1.5 and K2 players, might I suggest using hard links instead of using an extra 2 gigs of HD space? Here's a handy reference if you're using Windows.

Red face Re: In this day and age....

Uh, I didn't have to copy any files when I installed the K2 update. Am I missing something? Is this why when I initially load instruments I have to tell K2 to find the library files? I know I'm being lame here, but I don't recall seeing anything in the docs.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    "I know it isn't easy for non-technical users, but there is no other solution. This is the way it will work for ALL KP1 to KP2 library updates, not just Garritan."
    To make this easier, Tony found a way to a batch file to automatically move the sample files to the right folders. You can find it here: http://www.garritan.com/Kontakt2PlayerUpdate.html It is PC only and we'll look into a Mac version as well.

Gary Garritan
    I may be able to assist with a Mac script. What are the default directories on Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Uh, I didn't have to copy any files when I installed the K2 update. Am I missing something? Is this why when I initially load instruments I have to tell K2 to find the library files? I know I'm being lame here, but I don't recall seeing anything in the docs.

-LFO
    When you downloaded the update there was a "What's this?" link which told you to copy the .nks files.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

Gary Garritan
    With such a cavalier attitude towards its customers, NI should maybe get out of the music software business.

I know that you (Gary) have made every effort to help us through this, and for that, thank-you.

Lightbulb Re: In this day and age....

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F
    I may be able to assist with a Mac script. What are the default directories on Mac?
    I hopefully will be giving you the info you ask for and hopefully it will be accurate, new to Mac so fingers crossed.

In Mac it placed the "Kontakt Player 2" folder in the "Applications" folder, but I recall that during installation it asked the user where they would like to install the "GPO KP2 Library" folder. I chose the Applications folder because i didn't know what was best or why it would need to be somewhere else.

... and so that is where it currently resides on this computer, in Applications, along with the "Kontakt Player 2" folder, but not inside the "Kontakt Player 2" folder.
    I guess a script will need to also ask where did you choose to place that folder during install of KP2.

Already there (in Applications folder) before this install, there were these folders:
    Finale 2007
    Finale GPO 2.0
    Garritan Personal Orchestra
    GPO Library

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F
    Craig,

That would be terrific. I'll ask Tony to get in touch so he can tell you what he did on the PC isde. thanks very much for your offer.

Isn't this community great!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum