• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Pro 7 software instruments

Share/Bookmark

Post Logic Pro 7 software instruments

does anyone have a list of musical instruments included in this software?
    is it at least everything in the symphony orquesta? my question is very basic
    and possible simplistic, but i am just beginning to consider scoring with software instead of the large scoring paper. thanks to all for their patience and suggestions
    ding

Re: Logic Pro 7 software instruments

Hi. There is no program nor sample library to my knowledge that has everything in a orchestra. The subtle nuances that can occur within even a measure demanded of a violinist is a realtime item. As I'm sure you are aware. But Logic does have a score editor that is quite in depth. It is however a learning curve to get it set up to your needs. And with any piece there are allways variables to numbers in sections as well as the many variations of diferent instruments that a composer will add in addition to or deletion of. It won't really be of much help but you can download the Logic Exspress demo on Apples site. As I said it won't really give the true feel of Logic. If you need a scoring app. Logic has it. And you won't be disappointed in it. But to have your creation come to life with the limited samples within Logic by itself. You will need to spend and spend again to amass that arsenal of sonics. Just my thoughts about it. I don't really have any need for either orchestra samples nor score.. JON

Here is a link: http://www.apple.com/logicpro/sculpture.html

This shows the features of sculpture, and on the top right, you can find links to Ultrabeat, additional synthesizers, vintage instruments, and the EXS sampler.

This is all of the instruments included in Logic Pro. Not much in the way of orchestral stuff, but I know that people really like the scoring options available with sequencing in Logic.

There are some orchestral samples included with the EXS sampler, but I would imagine that you could do much better with something like East West Quantum Library, and people on a budget seem to love Garritan Personal Orchestra. You might ask some questions in the Garritan Libraries section of this forum. Good Luck!

Logic has very usable and great sounding virtual instruments and effects. You can get a lot of good samples for the EXS24 sampler, but nothing comes included with the software that is good for orchestral reproduction. Sure there are a few things in the channel strips, but you would need to invest in an orchestral library.

That being said, Logic is a great software sequencer. I did my whole CD on it with nothing but virtual instruments and vocals.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanding
    does anyone have a list of musical instruments included in this software?
    is it at least everything in the symphony orquesta? my question is very basic
    and possible simplistic, but i am just beginning to consider scoring with software instead of the large scoring paper. thanks to all for their patience and suggestions
    ding

The only thing Logic does NOT come with is a good orchestral library for its EXS24 sampler.

The cheap solution is Apple's Orchestral Jam Pack. A better solution, still very affordable IMHO, is Kirk Hunter's Emerald Symphony Orchestra for EXS24.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Question Re: Logic Pro 7 software instruments

gracias a todos - thank you all
    this is a lot to digest. here is a little more detail on my situation. perhaps with this info, some of you may be able to say whether what i would envision exists at all, or partially, whatever.
    i am writing a piece for viola and orquesta - a concerto - more than 1 movement. i am not using things like cow bells, etc - but am using regular winds, brass, strings, percussion (cymbal, timpani) and solo viola. does anyone know if there is anything where i could play into software each part on a keyboard or something and have it appear in scored form. and perhaps then i could go to the score and put in dynamic markings, tempo changes like ritards, etc. ....AND then finally - could some software play that back for me after all my editing on it? is this more complicated than what your space agency needs to launch those rockets?
    again, thanks to all who have any opinions in view of this info.
    ding

Yes this can certainly be done in Logic. As mentioned, you will want some kind of orchestral library (Garritan Personal Orchestra, East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, Vienna Symphonic Library Orchestra, etc) to really get your finished product sounding good. You might ask some questions at the Garritan forum to find out exactly how Logic integrates with such a library, but I do know that any MIDI track in Logic can be pulled up and edited quickly and easily as sheet music in the score editor.

I WOULD NOT buy Logic for you needs. I've been a Logic user since 1994 and I love it, but it's not what you want. Logic is a sequencing application with SOME notation capabilities, but it is a sequencing application first. While technically speaking you could score an orchestra in Logic, it would not be what I call fun.

You should seriously consider Finale 2007 or Sibelius. Both applications are dedicated scoring softwares and would help you a lot more if you're making the transition from pencil and paper to computer. Both applications have a way to play into the computer and have it transcribe what you played, but both applications also have much better notation features than Logic. Also - Finale 2007 comes with the Garitan library and you will have a full orchestra at your computer finger tips. Sibelius works with the Kontakt player so you could use the Garritan orchestra, but I don't think it ships with the sounds like Finale does.

All of the softwares have a learning curve - to do what you want Logic's is the toughest. Finale would be the next toughest and then Sibelius. I have used all 3 and have finally landed with Logic for sequencing and Finale for notation. Been like that for many years now.

Hope this helps.

J-

Go Back to forum