• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL VI Special Edition Demo-- Faure's Pavane

Share/Bookmark

VSL VI Special Edition Demo-- Faure's Pavane

As promised, here is my first demo using only VSL's VI Special Edition. It is Gabriel Faure's Pavane Op.50 for woodwinds, horns and strings. The reverb is Altiverb 6-- the new LA Philharmonic IR. No additional EQ was used.

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5011

Comments always appreciated.

Best,
    Jay

Re: VSL VI Special Edition Demo-- Faure's Pavane

Jay

What can one say at your talent at rendering!

Everything I hear from you (and VSL) is just perfect!

In this case the only objection I could maybe have is that some things a little more towards the back. It sounds like the flutes are a bit too close, but it's probably me more than anything...

Other than that I really wanted to ask you:

How can I listen to YOUR music? Because I would love to! I really would!

All the best,

Nikolas

Very nice job Jay - I ordered this last night, as being an opus 1/2 owner, I saw this as an inexpensive way to try out the VLS VI tech - can you pls post a list of the instruments-articulations you used - esp. wondering how many of the ww-s or strings you used a legato patch on, etc-- thanks
    jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Beal
    can you pls post a list of the instruments-articulations you used - esp. wondering how many of the ww-s or strings you used a legato patch on, etc-- thanks
    jeff
    On the bottom right of the VSL player for the piece there's a button called "Download Tutorial" which I believe has all the matrices and midi files for you to see the programming. I dont have VI SE yet but I'm assuming everything your looking for is in the tutorial.

Jay. NICE WORK as usual! I'm very impressed with the rendering of this piece, especially the blend and balance. To me its absolutely STUNNING (just like everything else you touch). The "scaled down" library didn't seem to effect you one bit! However, even with your wonderful demo I'd love to hear some feedback from you and others working with the library before I buy (poor college student here, and even with the opus discount its still a chunk of change! ).

Do the lack of various articulations make it hard to do mockups in different styles? Obviously VSL's forte is in legato playing, which this demo displays wonderfully, but how about other styles? Say more action style stuff? How about the lack of velocity layers/repetition samples? Are they noticeable? I'm assuming they will be more noticeable on a faster, more repetitious sections of pieces (ala Mars, etc) but would like to know if pieces like these are still "do-able."

I'm a proud Opus 1-2 user, and judging from the articulations list, we have a more complete product in Opus 1 + 2 in terms of depth of articulations, runs/trills, etc, but SE obviously has the edge in the sheer amount of instruments! However, upon closer inspection, beyond the Solo, Chamber, and Appassionata strings, and the occasional use of Saxophone/Eb clarinet/Wagner tuba for wind symphony pieces, I cant see myself using many of the new instruments. I guess they're nice to have "just incase," but I personally would have liked to have seen more articulations for the common instruments vs more exotic and rarely used instruments. I mean, I imagine I'd use trills or runs far more than I'd use the Oboe d'amore or Basset horn instruments. However, I dont own the library so perhaps I'm wrong. Am I looking into this too much? Are the amount of articulations/velocity layers/repetitions enough? I'd love to hear some feedback from SE users, especially those who already own Opus 1+2. Is SE worth buying mainly for the extra string patches and very few of the extended instruments?

Sorry for the long post. Bottom line, GREAT JOB as usual Jay! Do you have any plans on making more SE demos? I'd love to hear them!

anyone know if there is an upgrade path to the seperate instruments from this library?

also is this sort of stripped down samples from the instrument VI libraries?

Well done!

Guy

Beautiful Jay!

I have fallen in love with the LA Philharmonic IR set in AV6 as well!

Dan

I have always liked this song.
    I have a 1.5 Ghz Athlon. I see that the VSL team asks for a 2Ghz processor in the system requirements of the Vienna Special Edition. Do any of you think I could get by with 3/4 of the minimum, processor-wise if I only work on and then freeze 1 track at a time?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Chris. Dratz

Jay,

you are a great and experienced artist, and also at your last thread, this work is very well arranged with now this librarie!

Please note, this is no criticism to you, but, the sound from VSL's VI Special Edition convinces me not so much.

It would interest me, how would sound this with the librarie from Kirk Hunter… .

Best regards to you
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by cmdratz
    I have always liked this song.
    I have a 1.5 Ghz Athlon. I see that the VSL team asks for a 2Ghz processor in the system requirements of the Vienna Special Edition. Do any of you think I could get by with 3/4 of the minimum, processor-wise if I only work on and then freeze 1 track at a time?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Chris. Dratz
    Hi Chris,

in the past I have had the same problems... . My recommendation: A new PC! It costs money, but it is worthwhile itself.

Best
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum