• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Troups (2nd Movement)to the battlefield

Share/Bookmark

The Troups (2nd Movement)to the battlefield

Here is the 2nd movement of a suite I'm writing using GPO.
    The scene is of moving through a forest towards the enemy. I'm a softy! really.

To The Battlefield

Taste of 3rd Movement

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 04-29-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added Taste Of 3rd Movement

Re: The Troups (2nd Movement)to the battlefield

I really liked this - Well done! My only concern was that it was a bit repetitive about one third of the way through. I only listened to it twice though, so I may be mistaken. If this was backing up a film it would probably be OK but by itself, I felt it needed more variety in that place. I liked the big change of atmosphere after that and of course the cute ending. Oh and I don't know what you were using for bass but on my system I could not really tell what instrument it was. Don't know what I could suggest for that.

Thanks for posting! - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    I really liked this - Well done! My only concern was that it was a bit repetitive about one third of the way through. I only listened to it twice though, so I may be mistaken. If this was backing up a film it would probably be OK but by itself, I felt it needed more variety in that place. I liked the big change of atmosphere after that and of course the cute ending. Oh and I don't know what you were using for bass but on my system I could not really tell what instrument it was. Don't know what I could suggest for that.

Thanks for posting! - Del
    Del, thanks for offering your thoughts on this, my first ever attempt to compose anything other than a pop tune. Repetition is an issue for me as I decide on the length of the movement. The basic trumpet theme sticks in my head and I hope it does the same for others. I'm keeping it relatively short as it is followed by the battle scene, which I have already composed the first fourty seconds of, the ending of this movement being the abrupt face off. Bass is always difficult to gauge when thinking of the different systems the piece will be played on. I use a stereo plus sub base monitoring system which I think is pretty neutral but I really need to check the mix on headphones, in the car, etc. and make sure it works. The bass samples are GPO contrabass 1 doubled by one octave. I have lengthened the start and reverted to the single beat on the ending. I posted this single movement specifically to get feedback, as I move forward with it.

Cheers,

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Hi Ray

I really like this piece.

The only problem I have with it is that there's too much in the low end. Maybe you have the bfd on the bass drum set too high? Regardless of that, it's a great work especially for your first go on a new genre.

The 3rd movement is coming along nicely too. Please share when it's done.

Take Care,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi Ray

I really like this piece.

The only problem I have with it is that there's too much in the low end. Maybe you have the bfd on the bass drum set too high?
    Steph
    Thanks for listening Steph,

I know what you mean about the low end. On checking I think it's the gong that's too loud on the two occasions I use it early in the piece. I'll pull these notes back a bit in the mix.

Cheers

Ray

A great start with this Ray. The repetition isn't a problem for me given that it's a strong theme that grows on you and gives a sense of build up towards the battle. The third movement is looking good too.

You're going to have to develop this further Ray as this holds a lot of promise.

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    A great start with this Ray. The repetition isn't a problem for me given that it's a strong theme that grows on you and gives a sense of build up towards the battle. The third movement is looking good too.

You're going to have to develop this further Ray as this holds a lot of promise.

Regards, Graham
    Graham, thanks for your views on this.
    I will post as I build, I may even start the 1st movement.

Cheers

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Solid work on this (as well as the "taste"), Ray.
    Great motivic work, strong theme, and some
    really effective harmonic progression.

Now.

Ray, you've got to take this forward for us!
    This is superb exposition, but you get to the end
    of it, and... the ear is saying "more, I want more!"
    This thematic material is just begging for
    development... how can you resist?

Keep it coming, Ray!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Solid work on this (as well as the "taste"), Ray.
    Great motivic work, strong theme, and some
    really effective harmonic progression.

Now.

Ray, you've got to take this forward for us!
    This is superb exposition, but you get to the end
    of it, and... the ear is saying "more, I want more!"
    This thematic material is just begging for
    development... how can you resist?

Keep it coming, Ray!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David as usual you're right,
    I've gone and got sidetracked receiving my copy of Strad but, I must finish this and I will. How could I resist such a heart felt request.
    We've never met but you've already sussed how quickly my concentration wanes and I move on to something else but this is different. Honest!!!!!

Best Regards

Ray

Go Back to forum