• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reaper is way cool!

Share/Bookmark

Reaper is way cool!

There is a new DAW program in town:

http://reaper.fm/

Most of the features you know and love from Pro-tools, Logic, Cubase, etc. at a price we can all afford! It is shareware (as in free *unlimited trial*, with a registration of *$39* after you like it. $199 for commercial use).

Obviously, it doesn't have ALL the features of our name-brand favorites...yet. But it has most, and its development appears to be unbelievably fast. And it sure does show that you don't have to charge $1000 to be in the game. It even has some features that the big boys don't. (batch export!)

A good option if you would much rather pay a developer to fix bugs than to fatten the advertising budget. Hopefully the good work will continue unhindered/un-soldout(Cool Edit Pro).

Anyways, just a helpful program the Garritan community might dig. What do you think?

p.s. it may not be news for some people, but it is for me, so...

Re: Reaper is way cool!

Your post prompted me to download it again. For the second time, I've been unable even to get it to play its own demo sequence -- which seems to be called "Brad Sucks" and isn't real promising in any event. But still, it ought to do something, oughtn't it?

From what I could see, it has no MIDI recording or editing capabilities. Is this a wrong impression? I admit I haven't searched very hard, since it doesn't run anyway.

It's puzzling that something so inert inspires enthusiasm. Maybe mine is only sleeping.

Larry

Worked out of the box for me.

I sometimes find that reading the manual helps solve many issues.

Yes, midi recording/editing is there. Including assignable lanes for editing on the piano roll, a la Cubase/Logic.

Sorry if my enthusiasm offends. Just trying to support a grassroots program.

Check your audio device settings.

I liked what I just tried. Not that I will changing Cubase over it at the moment, but I'm sure to advertise it! The fact that it's shareware only adds.

Larry, oculd it be that you blocked access to the internet? It appears that the demo song is in the internet and not downloaded with the installer...

The very basic audio fanctions are there. I will look further into it, but at the moment I like what I saw!

Hi, Derek

I discovered Reaper awhile back when I was doing a search for someone out of town who wants to explore computer recording without making a big plunge into $$ outlay.

I've looked around the program and it seems good. One's eyes always glaze over when challenged with learning a new program, and Reaper's layout and functioning is enough different from what I'm used to (Sonar) that I can see it would take me awhile to get a handle on it. That's to be expected.

After using the Big Guys' Toys like Sonar, I'm not sure it's possible for anyone to go back to something in its early development like this, know what I mean? It could well be all most people need, but difficult to turn to if they're already spoiled by the glitzy look and feel of programs like Sonar. It's something like going back to an Atari ST program, when faced with its plain, vanilla looking interface.

When you said "...Including assignable lanes for editing on the piano roll, a la Cubase/Logic..." I thought you meant you could have multiple lanes, like Cubase does. Of course all "sequencer" programs have a Piano View with basically the same tools, so it's good Reaper has that. But having multiple panes for different controllers is the thing I miss most about Cubase--Sonar doesn't have that, and now I see Reaper doesn't either. Interesting they don't give that window the generic "Piano View" name--made it difficult to locate. It was something like "Edit data in another window."

Anyway, I'm sure it's OK, and does seem to have all many people would need. There are also other programs which are 100% free which do the same thing. The trick of recording audio and MIDI in the same program on a computer has long since been taken for granted. There are so many programs that do the same thing, and it's certainly true that for most people, there's no need to be spending hundreds of dollars+ to just start making music.

SO, thanks for the post.

Randy
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by derekderek
    There is a new DAW program in town:
    http://reaper.fm/
    Most of the features you know and love from Pro-tools, Logic, Cubase, etc. at a price we can all afford! It is shareware (as in free *unlimited trial*, with a registration of *$39* after you like it. $199 for commercial use).

Obviously, it doesn't have ALL the features of our name-brand favorites...yet. But it has most, and its development appears to be unbelievably fast. And it sure does show that you don't have to charge $1000 to be in the game. It even has some features that the big boys don't. (batch export!)

A good option if you would much rather pay a developer to fix bugs than to fatten the advertising budget.

Hopefully the good work will continue unhindered/un-soldout(Cool Edit Pro).

Anyways, just a helpful program the Garritan community might dig. What do you think?

p.s. it may not be news for some people, but it is for me, so...
    DerekDerek, I just want to applaud what I see as your intentions in this post. I've been toying with Reaper (and download each update as soon as I get a notice). No, I haven't bought it yet. In point of fact, I have far too many of the high-ticket applications to need this program, but I definitely support shareware authors.

Moreover, I often long for the bad old days when Cakewalk (shareware) ran off of a 360K floppy diskette. I even miss Cakewalk Pro 6, which, as I recall, gave the cleanest and most straightforward MIDI editing of any of the Windows programs at that time.

For those who need to "get their chops" on DAW and CPU based audio/midi systems on a tight budget, Reaper rates right up there. As Stephen McMahan pointed out, the price is right. As a follow-up, try this link: http://createdigitalmusic.com/staff/Adrian%20Anders/

Best,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette
    No, I haven't bought it yet. In point of fact, I have far too many of the high-ticket applications to need this program, but I definitely support shareware authors.
    I think this is the key. Clearly, for production work you don't want to get into something that is too green. Tweakers and early adopters, on the other hand, may find it interesting. And it has -far- more functionality than most free/shareware, and some things that the big guys don't have. There is also value in bringing more people into the fold, and alerting those who can't afford the name brand. And who knows, a year from now...

Samplitude? Looks a lot like Cubase to me. Or vice versa, maybe?

Thanks for posting that link, Joe-Just for kicks I downloaded Reaper again because of the cool new "Stealth" color scheme. I had an earlier version which is accurately described on that linked page as being a bit, um, "fugly."

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette
    As a follow-up, try this link: http://createdigitalmusic.com/staff/Adrian%20Anders/

Best,

Joe
    Yeah, thanks for the link...it's funny, I was going to say how much the app reminded me of Winamp in that it is aiming to provide more functionality for less $ and is on such a fast dev cycle. I didn't realize that it is actually by the Winamp camp. Actually it also reminds me of Winamp in that they are cramming features in and then ironing them out later...another reason not to use it for serious production work yet.
    Let's just hope people don't get too skin-happy with Reaper like they did with Winamp...who really needs an NBA themed DAW prog?!

Go Back to forum