• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should a 16x DVD take over an hour to load??

Share/Bookmark

Should a 16x DVD take over an hour to load??

I\'ve installed a 16x DVD on a giga machine and am loading VSL. Its taking a least 1 hour per DVD. I have a DVD on my other machine and I loaded VSL much quicker. If this sounds off, does anyone have suggestions to spead things up?

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Should a 16x DVD take over an hour to load??

I have a 5x DVD in my Giga system and it takes less than a half hour to load the GOS DVD\'s. So yes, that does seem like a long time.

If I\'m not mistaken the VSL DVDs are 4 GB DVDs and the GOS ones are 1.5

so its possible it would take a while, I know it took me a LOOOOONG time to load up the VSL stuff.

I didn\'t actually check how long each DVD was, but it was definitely about a half hour, since I\'d let it run and go do other stuff.

The GOS DVD\'s are 4.7 GB discs which is a standard burnt DVD. Remember that GOS is over 8 GB so you definitely couldn\'t fit it on a 1.5 GB disc. There was another thread that I read somewhere else of something that is a little different with the VSL discs and that they weren\'t compatible with all drives.

Haydn...

dont mind me,...I\'m a freaking idiot. I was confusing SI and GOS here. I ahve the CD GOS, doh, and the DVD SI. The SI ones are also 4.7.

too many sample libs... I should start making music with just whistling into a mic.

King,

Something happened after you added the extra sentence after the \'Really...I am an Idiot.\'

Actually, I\'m just a smeghead!!

Scores

Sounds like the DVD drive is not reading at full speed. Could be a setting. Check the properties of the drive.

Larry

From what I have read a 16x DVD is about equivalent to a 48x cd rom.

The main advantage of DVD drives at this stage seems to be how much data they can hold as opposed to how fast it is delivered.

One thought, is the destination drive defragmented and have plenty of space available?

Cheers, Scott.

scores4film, some of the VSL-DVDs are double-layered and contain >8GB data - it seems that some dvd-drives do not read double-layer-dvds very reliable .... had a similar experience here using a 16x-asus (whatever product there might be really inside the enclosure)
    christian

Hi
    I use Asus as well, and had looong load times
    too - but that was before I reinstalled my system.
    When I did that, I did\'nt install any of the Asus
    software - and now the load speed is 3 times faster. It might not be the Asus DVD software,
    could be something in the reinstallment - but
    maybe its worth a try....

Bjarne

Go Back to forum