• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello to everyone

Share/Bookmark

Hello to everyone

I rarely post here anymore but not because I dont love the forum, but because I've been really busy here lately...and for a while before that too. I've actually been really fortunate lately to get a decent amount of work scoring to picture which has been my dream for quite some time. When I got my first commercial job about 3 years ago, I had just put together my first DAW maybe 6 months prior to that and did it with a few rack synths and my Roland XP-30. When I got GPO, it really changed my world. It was the 2nd VSTi I had bought but the first one was Halion and I only had one library for it which wasnt orchestral. When I listen back to some of the music that GPO inspired me to write, I think it's pretty amazing (not me, just how it affected/infected me). I wrote some stuff that I sometimes find myself thinking, wow, that was good, wish I could write like that. Hey! That was me! You see, somewhere in the mix of life, I thought that every new library I bought was going to make everything SO much better and make my writing better and all that good stuff. Fact is, I have a couple of shelves full of shiny boxes now and I recently, on the biggest paying project I've ever had (which isnt huge still), found myself using some of the GPO sounds I hadnt touched in a while and rediscovering how incredibly intuitive the sounds are to use and how great they sound. I've always loved the Steinway-lite and also the woodwinds. Actually I like pretty much all of it but those in particular are what I used in this recent project. I was using the Bb clarinet and I was just amazed at how great it plays with the mod wheel and I think the legato nature of it is really great too.

Anyway, all of this is just making me really want for GPOA to arrive so I can see what great things are cooking in Gary's kitchen. There are other libraries out there (sorry to blow this wide open Gary) that have quite a bit of appeal and I really enjoy certain aspects of them. But nothing, orchestrally comes close to the playability of GPO. Another part of what is bringing me back to GPO is having bought Kontakt 2. It brought many of my libraries together under one roof where I could mix and match sounds from different libs without running multiple or different vsti's. I will always use a mix of libraries but I just kind of wanted to give props where props were due again. This recent sort of "rediscovery" is making me want to try an all GPO piece again just to give it a shot and see if it doesnt help my writing again. I never really thought about legato with GPO but as soon as I started using another library, I found myself searching and searching for the right articulation for this and that and still it wasnt quite right on between the notes and blah blah blah. You get the picture. Hours tweaking little cc11 curves to make the notes melt together into smooth legato lines and only to a certain degree of success. The last time I used GPO, I had one gig of RAM and that was it. I could load a decent amount but really needed more and always thought of that as a limitation. Now I'm up to 3 gigs and I'm thinking that I'm going to go load a template tonight and get to work.

Thanks for listening to my mental meanderings. It has been a long 7 days of scoring for my latest project. I'm not sure when it will be released but it is a 35 minute documentary called "Healing Autism" and I do believe it is going to be a DVD accompanying the book by Dr Kenneth Bock. It isnt sold to any networks yet but this production company has a long history of doing exactly that so I'm hoping for my first national TV gig. (fingers crossed) It was a rigid schedule to say the least but I got it done and they sound like they are quite pleased. After sitting in the basement for a week straight, I'm ready to go get out in the sunshine and service some air-conditioners (my day job that I'm trying to leave. Hope I have time to stop by and say hi more often. THis forum was instrumental in getting me started with where I am now. THanks everyone.

Eric

Re: Hello to everyone

Hey, great to see you in the neighborhood, Eric.

Stop by more often.

And many, many congratulations on the film gig!

Let us all know if/when it hits the tube.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I miss seeing your posts too!

Dan

Congratulations on your project. Doing music for such a worthwhile project must have given you great satisfaction. All the best for the film's success.

What you write about is exactly what I wanted GPO to do - to inspire people to write. It is so pleasing to hear that it changed your world and help you with your music. And we wanted GPO to give musicians a taste of sampling so musicians would gravitate to other libraries too.

Words like your make us want to do even more.And we will continue making musical tools that will continue to help. GPOA/GOS2 and our upcoming products will not disappoint.

And thanks for acknowledging the forum. The people here are the most helpful, talented, bright and giving group of people you can ever find. You're back among friends.

I appreciate your posting this and all the best for a national TV gig. We're all hoping and cheering for you.

All the best,

Gary

Hi folks. Just a little update. I thought I'd post this little trailer I found for the film I was talking about. They cut and spliced my music out of the film for the trailer but I thought they did a pretty good job. The piano is the GPO Steinway lite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZ7uSg7VRE

Go Back to forum