• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO Recording

Share/Bookmark

Arrow EWQLSO Recording

When playing an instrument from the EWQL Gold, is it only me that here how high the gain is turned-up from the mic pre? I guest the air is noisy from the transformer. Not all instruments does this though, but it can be heard clearly from the large strings section. Anyways, EWQL sounds great.

Just curious.
    --Al

Re: EWQLSO Recording

Yes. I've got Gold and I can verify that there are some instruments where the noise is really obvious. You'll probably get used to overlooking it eventually. Once there are other instruments playing with it it will blend in.

I don't have the library ... but a large string section should produce enough level to make the electrical noise insignificant. You are sure you are not hearing the bowing/rosin noise?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    You don't notice this so much in the demos - because most of the demos were done in Platinum with Far mic positions. .

Actualy that is what gold mainly is, the far mics. Platinum has the close mics (c), the far mics (f position) and the surround mics. From what I understand from the producers of EW, alot of the demos were done using the far mics, with some surround and possibly some close mics mixed in.

I know what you are hearing, as I can get some white noise on some of the samples as well, Don't think its the dither, but just the room tone that was recorded with the mics perhaps. It doesn't ruin anything I do though, its fairly livable. I also have XP.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound

I know what you are hearing, as I can get some white noise on some of the samples as well, Don't think its the dither,
    Solo the lower octave clarinet patch. I'll say it's the pre's, but the over all samples are great.

--Al

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    A matter of semantics - you call it close, far, and surround - I call it close, stage, and far. There are some patches that buzz and it's not instrument noise or breasth - noticed it also in SC.
    You find klunkers in a libs I think.
    Ha, Tomatoe, Tamatoe. Technically speaking, in the library itself, they are called Close (c), Far (F), and surround (S), these are the designations used in the patches, so if you are calling what is labeled surround (s) the far, it may cause some confusion. The demos are not written only with the surround (or what you called far) position, that would be way too ambient in itself since its really meant for surround mixing as back position.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound
    Ha, Tomatoe, Tamatoe. Technically speaking, in the library itself, they are called Close (c), Far (F), and surround (S), these are the designations used in the patches.
    Actually you are wrong too... . According to the Manual "F" stands for "Full".
    C, F, S = Close, Full, Surround

I was just thinking that reading this thread - different companies called it different things - the F mics in EWQLSO, as matto stated, are named 'full', but are actually what most would call 'stage' mics.

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    Actually you are wrong too... . According to the Manual "F" stands for "Full".
    C, F, S = Close, Full, Surround

YES!!! you are right, my bad, full mics, thats really what I meant. They should be called the stage mics, but since they use the Designation S for surround, probally why they called them full instead.
    www.energiestudios.com

Go Back to forum