• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Take Out Your Frustrations on Me - The K2 Update Fiasco

Share/Bookmark

Take Out Your Frustrations on Me - The K2 Update Fiasco

Dear Friends:

I'd like to provide some background information for those of you who have downloaded the unofficial release of the GPO K2 and are presently experiencing problems with it.

You are trying to do music and we are here to help you do that. From your point of view a product should work - and that should be all there is to it. I agree, wholeheartedly. But sometimes the path to progress is not a smooth one.

Part of the problem is the K2 Player's premature release. This was not formally announced by Garritan, as it had not yet passed our quality assurance. Nevertheless, it is out there - and I have been fielding a mountain of tech calls and emails concerning it. I certainly wish it were otherwise, but the problems with the NI player (and Finale integration) are beyond our control.

May I please explain a bit about how this works:

We record, edit and program the sounds. But NI provides the player to play these sounds.

This is a long process and Tom spends endless hours painstakingly doing the programming. Once we have the sounds programmed, then they go to Native Instruments to be ported to their player. (We do not "own" the player - we license the player, and NI gets a royalty for each copy. )

For the GPO and JABB updates, Garritan also pays NI for the updated player. (Unlike other companies, we do not charge our users for the update; it's made available, free of charge.)

We had thought that going from the Kontakt 1 Player to the Kontakt 2 Player would be a simple and quick procedure - we give NI the GPO library and it gets converted to Kontakt 2. Easy (so we thought).

But Kontakt 2 broke a great deal of Kontakt 1 programming. So Tom and Markleford have been scrambling for months to get things to work (at the expense of other projects). Whenever one thing is fixed or there's a workaround, something else breaks. It's been like the legendary Dutch boy trying to plug the holes in the dam -- but each time one hole's plugged, a new leak appears.

To be fair to NI, this is a very complicated thing they are doing… a sampler that will work on several platforms and across all hosts. NI has always come through in the past (we know with our four year history).

Please be assured that, as in the past when there were problems, we are doing our utmost to get this resolved with them. Just like all of you, we wish things would be quicker! But as I said, Garritan is not the only firm involved. (Remember, Garritan does not have access to the player code so we cannot fix it ourselves.) Tony and Craig have also written scripts to make some of this easier for you, for the present. And we'll continue to do all we can to help.

But not all of the difficult hurdles we have faced since we started doing this have yet been scaled. Please hang in there a little longer.

I should note that in light of these difficulties it may be wise to look into other alternatives; with the hope in the future of being able to respond to our community's needs with greater agility.

In the meantime, all of you, my friends who have ever been so kind and patient and supportive - please be reassured that we are putting everything we've got behind getting these problems resolved as quickly as we can. I hope you will continue to bear with us while we work with NI (and Finale, too) to bring this to a better conclusion when the official release of GPO K2 is ready.

Thanks for you patience and hanging in there. And thanks to all the helpful people who contributed their time with suggestions, tutorials, fixes, batch files - Nikki, etLux, Prince of Music, CraigF, Tony, Haydn, dbudde, Keith, Nickie - to name a few. I have never before encountered a community of such talented and helpful people.

Yours sincerely,

Gary Garritan

PS: Oh, and for those still frustrated? I stand at the ready to take the flack - go to:
    http://thedunktank.com/v.php?id=d6c1...c96391c0179465

or click on the image below: Go ahead...TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT!

Re: Take Out You Frustrations on Me - The K2 Update Fiasco

Thank you so much Gary.

I believe most of us in our community understand the problems are not of your making and that you and your team are doing everything and more.

I can wait as long as it takes and am looking forward to your new player .. er .. and Garritan Choir .. umm .. and GPOA ..ohh .. and Real Spaces. I understand these will all be ready this weekend

Seriously, thank you for all you have done and I believe we are all with you.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I'm not one of the frustrated right now, but I had to give the dunk tank a try. You're wet right now, Gary. Sorry, John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears
    I'm not one of the frustrated right now, but I had to give the dunk tank a try. You're wet right now, Gary. Sorry, John
    I'm all wet eh? You're not the first to say that

Wow, that dunk tank works about as good as KP2. I must have hit it 6 times before you went in! Lol. Thanks Gary. I dont think there are too many of us that really blame you or your team for this. Stuff happens, no matter who or what company you are. I know I'll live. Meanwhile I'll just compose the best I can by seeing what kinds of tones I can squeeze out of my cats. I have three so I should be able to do a full triad or perhap minimal accompaniment with a melody.

Eric

Gary,

You are the most gracious and accommodating company head I have ever dealt with. The lengths you go to to keep your customers happy is incredible. If only more companies were so gracious. We’d live in a happy, happy world.

I have been out of town since the day I installed the update and have not had any time to work with the new NI player so I'm confused.

Is the version of KP2 that I have downloaded to date a "pre release" version? I was not aware of that when I down loaded it.

If so, when the final version is released will we be able to just update this version and continue to use the new serial number that NI has sent us?

Thanks,

Dave

I only dunked you 10 times.

Seriously Gary, you are one of the most open and honest company heads I have ever seen. The world needs more guys like you.

Hmm, you're always one step ahead of every problem, issue, or beefalo. Wishing you the best!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    Seriously Gary, you are one of the most open and honest company heads I have ever seen. The world needs more guys like you.
    Oh yes, I can only repeat these words!

Gary, last year, when I bought the motu symphonic instrument, I have had many much more trouble with it to get it to run. I have had to download a new keylockversion and this and that before it was running, and there was no help... .

EMU`s translationprogramm for my proteus2 do not work fine till now... .

Here in Northern Sound Source there always were some people who helped the others. That is so very great here!!!

As I said, in Cubase4 the GPOK2 runs fine, I use it only as a VST Plugin.

I hope this will be true for all the others who are working with Finale and other sequenzers.

Very best regards to you and your great wonderfull team!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum