• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 as a Rewire slave

GS3 as a Rewire slave

I've been thrilled with the fact that GVI (running in VStack) has cured my PC's constant crashing. However, today I needed to use a patch whose multiple keyswitch dimensions could only be accessed by GS3. So I tried opening GS3 as a Rewire slave (with VStack as the master). I found I could get the audio from GS3 into VStack via Rewire (by playing the onscreen GS3 keyboard), but I couldn't figure out how to trigger the GS3 sounds with my MIDI keyboard or sequencer. My main sequencer is DP, running on a different computer. How should the MIDI info be routed? Does it have to pass through the Rewire master (I don't think you can do this in VStack), or should I send the MIDI directly to GS3?

Re: GS3 as a Rewire slave

I would take Rewire and VStack out of the loop assuming you have a suitable midi in for the G3 computer, and a sound card that can send audio back to your DAW. As a Standalone, all G3 needs is a midi-in and audio out.

Sorry, I should have explained a bit more. GS3, with I've used for years as you've described, has been a nightmare of instability. GVI, by contrast, hasn't crashed my computer once. When you use GS3 as a Rewire slave, you don't have to use the custom memory config for your PC - theoretically, you get the benefits of GS3 without the instability (there are a bunch of things you can do with GS3 that you can't with GVI, which is why I'm interested in this).

So thanks for replying - but I'd still love to hear from anyone who has gotten GS3 to work as a Rewire slave, especially with VStack.

have you looked into the Giga VST thread i posted? It may very well solve your problem.

Thanks - solved it by switching to Plogue Bidule as my host - works great as a Rewire host. But I'd be curious to read your thread anyway - can you direct me to it?

its in the first page. the very first topic started by me.

Interesting. Do you know if there are any benefits to using the FX-MAX Adapter over doing the same thing via Rewire (which I can now do?)

Latency is one thing i can think of. ReWire introduces quite a bit of latency when compared to VST.

That, and you cant close the host app before closing any rewire application.

BTW, this idea just occured to me. You could download Chainer VST demo, which is a non-expiring but crippled version of Chainer, and just load the VST wrapper in there. Chainer is very CPU-friendly and doesnt gobble as much as dedicated hosts.

Go Back to forum