• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tourist Info for Gary

Share/Bookmark

Tourist Info for Gary

Well, Gary, I probably mentioned this before, but here I go again. When you have some spare time from the Musikmesse, be sure to visit the Sachsenhausen district of Frankfurt, which is fun to get to by crossing (on foot) the Eisener Steg, which runs more or less from the Frankfurter Dom to Sachsenhausen. My favorite place there was the Altes Cafe Dauth Schneider, and I don't know if it is still there. One afternoon, my friend, who was the engineer at the switching center of Hessian Broadcasting called me to say he was working late, unexpectedly, and would I meet his friend who was arriving from Berlin. Problem was, the friend gave as his location a Gasthaus that did not exist. So I played detective, knowing the man and wife were Berlilners, and decided that Sachsenhausen would be the best place to look for them, even though I had never seen them, or a photo of either. It took 30 minutes of walking around Sachenshausen to find the most likely couple, and when I approached my first suspect, and asked if he was Kurt Kellert, he was. This was at Dauth Schneider.

If I start spilling memories of Frankfurt, there will be no end. I really enjoyed my time there. If you can find one, you should try the Paternoster, which is a strange kind of elevator. The only one I know of is in the IG Farben Building (I.G. Hochhaus), and may still be a military headquarters. Rent a pedal boat, and take a short trip on the Main, but have at least two people, because they are hard to pedal!

Richard

Re: Tourist Info for Gary

Richard,

I appreciate the tourist info. Unfortunately I had to cancel my trip to Frankfurt this year due to a bout with being ill. I will certainly keep this info handy for next year's Musikmesse. And I know your advice is sound since you chose to live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet - the Redwoods. Thanks so much Richard.

All my best,

Gary

PS: After being dunked so many times a pedal boat ride sounds pretty good.

Well, this can mean only one thing ........ no "Frankfurters"!
    Styxx

I once had an amazing dinner in Frankfurt.

Downtown there was an ancient church that had been bombed out during WWII. The only thing remaining was the underground chamber that lead to a well. It is now a restaurant. We enjoyed our dinner on the very bottom floor, next to the well. The stone walls were covered with centuries of mineral deposits.

The food was okay, but the location - and the time spent with friends - was excellent.

I wish I had the name, but I don't. A bit of detective work could probably turn it up.

[quote=JonFairhurst]

Downtown there was an ancient church that had been bombed out during WWII. The only thing remaining was the underground chamber that lead to a well. It is now a restaurant. We enjoyed our dinner on the very bottom floor, next to the well. The stone walls were covered with centuries of mineral deposits.]

Well, it sounds like a place where I attended a party in 1963, but I don't remember the details. But it was not then a restaurant, just underground cavernous rooms. It was like we had our own private catacomb. Very impressive. Something like having a party in a mausolem.

Richard

Go Back to forum