• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: More from my stage musical

Share/Bookmark

More from my stage musical

It's been almost two months since I've posted any pieces from my stage musical, "Dorian - The Remarkable Mr. Gray." Previously I've posted the first two numbers, "Prelude" and "Every Picture Painted." The response here was very encouraging, and I appreciate that Forum members have wanted to hear more.

These are all songs, and it's frustrating to me that you're not hearing them as intended--with singers. That's the main reason I've hesitated to post more of these accompaniments. Melody lines are hinted at but are often not detectable, and so even though the arrangements are finished, they're still incomplete without vocalists.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to be sharing more. A group of musicians can understand the limitations of what I'm doing here, while the general public probably wouldn't "get" it quite as well.

What I'm posting today is the next section of the show, following "Every Picture." It's two inseparable songs, so I'm posting the entire 6:45 segment. Those who have heard the previous posts, will notice recurring themes already established, starting off with the opening measures of "Self Development" which echoes "Prelude."

The first song is Lord Henry speaking to Dorian who is posing for his portrait which Basil is working on. He's encouraging Dorian to be more adventurous in his living, to seize the time while he's still young.

At 3:00 there's a transitional segment as Dorian reacts to what Henry has said, featuring a restatement of Basil's song, "Every Picture."

At 3:20 begins "Somewhere In-between." It's Dorian's inner monologue, inspired by Henry's philosophies, expressing his restlessness and dissatisfaction with life. On stage, Henry and Basil would "disappear" as Dorian comes forward to tell the audience how he feels and what he's thinking.

This is Dorian's major theme, and a key musical moment for the show.

I've again made this a Windows Media Audio file--amazing how much smaller that format is from MP3, and the quality is almost as good, As good in a non-critical listening environment.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/v7b5q66bxn.wma

Randy
    (rbowser)

Re: More from my stage musical

Well done Randy,
    I understand your point on having no vocal line but it's still of great interest, listening to the variations in your score. You've been worling hard to get to this stage and I'm sure you'll be working harder to finish the whole show. Thanks for sharing this with us.

The wma thing is also interesting. I've dabbled with these comparisons myself in the past. I'll do a little a and b test again.

Cheers,

Ray

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a great story, and definitely lends itself well to being a musical! Great work with this, I enjoyed! I've often wanted to write songs/musical pieces as well, but the lack of a way to get singers to sing the words has prevented me. (Maybe I should go take voice lessons )

Still, with what you have here it is easy to hear that whatever melodies the singers would be singing they would be quite catchy and beautiful! Bravo! This is great work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hello, Ray--Thanks for listening. Actually, I finished writing the show some time ago, and it's getting to be quite a few months since I've finished the new-improved GPO version of the whole piece. It's all ready and waiting for production. I've just been slow in posting the pieces here in the Listening Room.

And thank you also, Sean! Your praise is uplifting to read--And, I think perhaps you might have missed my previous posts? I posted the show's opening number "Prelude" a few months back, and the second number, "Every Picture Painted" in late January of this year. --Occurs to me I could add links to those files on this thread also.*

Pleasure to have you guys give me the feedback. Thanks!

Randy
    (rbowser)

*--ADDING LINKS TO THE TWO PREVIOUS THREADS ABOUT MY SHOW--

"Prelude" thread:

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51382

"Every Picture" thread:

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51543
    Last edited by rbowser-; 03-23-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: adding links to previous threads

Wow, Terrific work, Randy.

I can understand your frustration regarding posting without lyrics. After all they were most likely the starting/ anchor point from which the music flowed.

Still, I have a good imagination and can visualize the intended result... A very rich score indeed!

This is truly great work.. There's such a wide range of musical form here. It's easy to hear the conversations between larger ensembles to subtly in a solo voice. And the transitions between these are perfect!

A true professional!

Thanks for sharing these outstanding works!

Please do post with voices, if they become available

~Jeff

Jeff, you know how to make someone's day--Thank you so much for your great reply on this thread. I remember you visiting one of my previous posts from the show, so thank you also for coming back for more!

I may break down and do vocal demos of some of these songs myself. I would like at least some of this to be heard by the Forum members in the way it's intended. I have tried to recruit singers from online for a project of doing vocal demos of the entire show---but that hasn't worked out very well. It would seem the era for that kind of collaboration being practical and possible for most musicians and singers hasn't quite arrived yet. Ah well.

What will make the happiest is when I'll be able to announce a stage production of my show. That time will come--let's just wait and see when!

Randy
    (rbowser)

Delightful music, Mr. Randy...just delightful! When can we see and hear this on Broadway in the big city?

Thanks for sharing this nice aural experience with us.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Randy, I think I've said before that I don't often listen to, or
    know much about, music for the stage -- but I've really come
    to look forward to the posts on your musical.

My friend, this is -- excellent! Top-drawer on the writing;
    and the rendering, as well.

Per your comments, I'd love to hear the vocals dubbed in
    if you can somehow arrive at that, Randy.

But even better -- I'd love to hear it live!

Keep it coming, Randy. This is superb work.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It sounds like your creating something that might become a classic.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    And thank you also, Sean! Your praise is uplifting to read--And, I think perhaps you might have missed my previous posts? I posted the show's opening number "Prelude" a few months back, and the second number, "Every Picture Painted" in late January of this year. --Occurs to me I could add links to those files on this thread also.*
    Nice work! I went back and listened to those previously posted pieces and I very much like what I hear! Grrr... I really wish I could hear it with singers, it must sound great! Hmmm... I'll have to take voice lessons...

Great work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast