• Register
  • Help

Topic: Second and Third Hour

Share/Bookmark

Second and Third Hour

The second and third hour of composing this melted together for two reasons: I lost track of time and Overture crashed half way through the second hour, forcing me to take the time to redo some things. Anyway, here is the incomplete piece as it is now, after three hours of work:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour2-3.mp3

And here's the first hour from last time:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour1.mp3

Enjoy!

tick, tick
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Second and Third Hour

Sean,
    Crashing applications, rename this the nightmare overture.
    The second version has a little more air in the recording. Nice piece except for the strange snare drum flams that seem to be out of time.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Enjoyed this Sean. This certainly gives a sense of time ticking away - and in this case, time well spent listening. Particularly enjoyed the pizz strings and the change of key around 1:16 when the brass enters. Those short bow strings sound very convincing at the end (I assume that's what you were using there?).

Regards, Graham

Hi, Sean, I just had the pleasure of hearing your very enjoyable piece. Something I really admire is how even with the appropriate feeling of time fleeting by, which can be frantic, there was still an over-all mood of optimism, with pleasure being taken in how that fleeting time was being occupied.--That's how the music effected me in any case.

Oh my, though, the story about crashing and losing work--I imagine we can all relate to that pain. When one is in the flow, it's so possible to neglect saving the work often enough.

"...I lost track of time..." You did indeed! (Pun intended?)--But I'm sure you're glad you sat there and recaptured things immediately while they were fresh in your mind. Maybe that re-do experience was something like ones I've had, where after the initial shock and bout of moaning and groaning that I go through--I end up with work which I realize is actually better than what I'd lost.

Thanks, Sean!

Randy
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Sean,
    Crashing applications, rename this the nightmare overture.
    The second version has a little more air in the recording. Nice piece except for the strange snare drum flams that seem to be out of time.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net
    Thanks for listening! Snare rolls sound a bit out of place? I could quiet them a bit, but I did want them a bit... what's the word... attacked? Accented? Louder?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Enjoyed this Sean. This certainly gives a sense of time ticking away - and in this case, time well spent listening. Particularly enjoyed the pizz strings and the change of key around 1:16 when the brass enters. Those short bow strings sound very convincing at the end (I assume that's what you were using there?).

Regards, Graham
    Thanks for your kind words! Yes, those were the short bows, the D2 Key Switch. I love their sound, they are perfect for staccato notes. They make me smile in my headphones...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Sean, I just had the pleasure of hearing your very enjoyable piece. Something I really admire is how even with the appropriate feeling of time fleeting by, which can be frantic, there was still an over-all mood of optimism, with pleasure being taken in how that fleeting time was being occupied.--That's how the music effected me in any case.

Oh my, though, the story about crashing and losing work--I imagine we can all relate to that pain. When one is in the flow, it's so possible to neglect saving the work often enough.

"...I lost track of time..." You did indeed! (Pun intended?)--But I'm sure you're glad you sat there and recaptured things immediately while they were fresh in your mind. Maybe that re-do experience was something like ones I've had, where after the initial shock and bout of moaning and groaning that I go through--I end up with work which I realize is actually better than what I'd lost.

Thanks, Sean!

Randy
    (rbowser)
    Many thanks for commenting, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I saw the application crashing as a way of God saying "You shall do better..."

Ok, not really... it was frustrating as usual, but I am certainly pleased that it turned out well anyway. It would be an interesting experience to go back in time to see what my music would sound like had I made alternate decision while writing... Hmmm...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Sean, I meant to say earlier that I understood Ray's comment about the snare rolls being off. I kept trying to understand on what beat they were coming in, but couldn't get a handle on them. It's as if the roll is ending before a beat and the resulting syncopation is contrary to the mood of the rest of the piece.

I think it would be worth the experiment to move them so the strongest accent falls directly on a beat--I felt while listening, actually, that they didn't seem needed at all. Perhaps if they were locked in I would understand better what they're intended for--.

Randy
    (rbowser)

My gosh, you certainly make more progress in
    three hours than I ever would, Sean!

Perhaps I should study the Sean Hannifin Method!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum