• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Clint Eastwood....the composer!?!?

Share/Bookmark

Clint Eastwood....the composer!?!?

I just watched "Flags of our Fathers". Really good movie I thought and as usual, I waited to see who scored it on the end credits. It said "Music by Clint Eastwood"! I had no idea he wrote music or was a musician period. Now that the movie is over, I have to say< I didnt really take note of the score as I watched it and I think that it was a pretty laid-back score overall but hey, I'm impressed none-the-less. I just thought that this was a cool bit of trivia if nothing else.

Eric

Re: Clint Eastwood....the composer!?!?

Yes, I saw that same thing at the end of "Million Dollar Baby" back when that came out. It too was a laid-back score. Must be nice to direct and score a film... it's hard to have creative differences with yourself.

Prince Charles... er... Craig Ferguson is also a composer according to IMDB.com...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

...without any words about this
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Well, I suppose that if John Travolta can be an airline pilot, Clint Eastwood can be a composer.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    I just watched "Flags of our Fathers". Really good movie I thought and as usual, I waited to see who scored it on the end credits. It said "Music by Clint Eastwood"! I had no idea he wrote music or was a musician period. Now that the movie is over, I have to say< I didnt really take note of the score as I watched it and I think that it was a pretty laid-back score overall but hey, I'm impressed none-the-less. I just thought that this was a cool bit of trivia if nothing else.
    Eric
    What a coincidence. I just finished watching the DVD also, and when I saw that credit at the end, I wondered if he has GPO set up in his basement. The principal motif seemed a bit weak to me, but overall the score serves the material. A departure from his usual jazz scores. His passion for jazz has expressed itself in his work for many years. He's an accomplished blues pianist, I believe. When I first learned that Dirty Harry was deep into music it.... made my day! -Ron

That is pretty cool actually!

A few months ago I found out that Anthony Hopkins is also a classical composer and symphonist. I think I heard something about one of his symphonies being premiered by San Antonio symphony. I dunno if he's actually good or if it's all in the name, but it's still impressive that he'd be doing something so substantial as a hobby!
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

i'm pretty sure anthony hopkins just directed a movie and wrote it score also, but i don't know what its called. i'm sure you imd.com it.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Anthony Hopkins: composer, "August" and "Dylan Thomas".

I'm leery of actors and others writing "symphonies"... if it's anything like McCartney's oratorio, then he will have done very little of the actual work of composing. Some "ghost composer" will have done the larger part.

Interesting thread! It was in the credits for "Million Dollar Baby" that I first noticed Mr. Clintwood being credited for composing music. It goes to show that some people have creativity just oozing out of their pores and it will find an outlet in several ways.

Clintwood has certainly proven himself to be a sensitive director, and I feel that for a film star to have the kind of staying power he has also shows talent, despite how his acting hasn't exactly demonstrated very much versatility. I'm impressed that he also expresses himself with music.

"...I'm leery of actors and others writing "symphonies"... if it's anything like McCartney's oratorio, then he will have done very little of the actual work of composing..."

That quote made me think of how I seem to have a rather democratic attitude about music and the people composing it. I'm theoretically interested in hearing music from anyone, no matter what their training or background is, and no matter how it is they're playing/recording/realizing the music. Naturally I'm not going to have a strong response to everything I hear, but to judge whether or not the musician/composer is "qualified" to compose doesn't occur to me.

I think, Cowboy, that you were perhaps meaning that there's just a limit to how seriously a symphony can be taken when it's been written by someone without an academic background, because a symphony is a very complex thing which is virtually impossible to really grasp without training. And perhaps you also meant it seems pretentious for an untrained writer to claim that he's written a "symphony" or an "oratorio" etc., and that it would be more appropriate for him to say simply that he's written some "music."

But I guess I'm still willing to not be bothered by all that. I want to hear music I respond to and enjoy, no matter its source. And with music, theatre, visual arts et al--I'm certainly not interested in only respecting what the experts in each field consider to be good work. A "primitive" or "naif" in any artistic field can be quite able to produce work more powerful and effective than some academically correct and respected work.

The point about McCartney's "oratorio" made me think of how Charlie Chaplin is thought of as a composer, but what he apparently did was hum a melody, perhaps plunk one out on a piano, and then professional arrangers would flesh things out for orchestra. The same is pretty much the case with many Broadway composers also.

My feeling is that McCartney "plunked out" the themes for that oratorio, and that makes him the Composer of the piece. He knew he wasn't able to arrange the material in an acceptable manner and so worked closely with the piece's arranger--(I don't have the arranger's name handy)--And in my book, that's exactly what his collaborator remained--the Arranger, with McCartney as the Composer.

And so on.

Randy
    (rbowser)

When Clint was filming in and around Austin, he pretty much lived at a basement jazz club called the Elephant Room here at nights. People were cool enough to give him his space, but he seemed like just a regular jazz fan. I think 50 years from now people will look back on him as one of the film greats of his time -- spaghetti westerns and monkey movies notwithstanding.

Go Back to forum