• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Internet Shutdown Day - Saturday March 24

Share/Bookmark

Internet Shutdown Day - Saturday March 24

Shutdown Day is almost here: http://www.shutdownday.org/

It is obvious that people would find life extremely difficult without computers, maybe even impossible.

Just a few days ago the forum was down and I was suffering withdrawal.

Now you can be a part of one of the biggest global experiments ever to take place on the internet. The idea behind the experiment is to find out how many people can go without a computer for one whole day, and what will happen if we all participate!

Shutdown your computer on this day and find out! Can you survive for 24 hours without your computer?

Just remember to be back for chat on Sunday

Cool Re: Internet Shutdown Day - Saturday March 24

I think i can do it, since it's for a good cause. I once went several years without a computer, but it was a different world back then and didn't even have internet. Dos was kinda lame anyway so didn't really miss much.

Re: Internet Shutdown Day - Saturday March 24

Well, since my mail is mostly electronic, my check register is electronic, my income comes in electronically, I compose music using a computer, the public library uses computers to check things in and out, etc, it is quite clear and obvious how essential that the computer is. How would you pay for your groceries without your debit card, how would the store clerks tally your purchases? How would you make a phone call? Switching circuits are computerized. Modern cars have computers to control various functions. So since it is so obvious, I need no further proof, and won't shut down.

Richard aka Devil's Advocate

I took my mother to the doctor yesterday and this particular doctor has a computer monitor and keyboard in each of the exam rooms. A nurse and or computer assistant is in the exam room with him and inputs information for their records for instant reports and exam results. I can not imagine places like that being without the computer.

I would just take a road trip.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

My wife fell and broke her nose last Xmas. My dad had rotator cuff surgery last spring. In both cases, before they were discharged, we were handed a DVD that had, in the case of my wife, all the xrays and photos of her face before and after. For my dad, they had video of the entire operation broken into a dozen AVI files as it was seen through the magnifying thingy the doctor was using. The times, they are a changin.

I could do 24 hours without my computers once a year, but only because it's on a Saturday. Does Tivo count?

brain

edit: just noticed it's an hour into the 24th. I lose.

Why not just combine the date with no music day? And, what the heck, let's add a no book day, no clock day, no towel day... Let's make a day where you just sit there for 24 hours... and then no sit day can be the next day.

Oh, and let's have a no gravity day so I can fly.

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    I would just take a road trip.
    Well, it looks pretty spiffy! Considering my location (and age) I am not likely to buy one, but I would like to know the gas mileage.

Richard

i'll practice internet shutdown day on sunday instead - while everyone's off of the net on saturday, downloading things should go a lot quicker (can't let that one go by!)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    i'll practice internet shutdown day on sunday instead - while everyone's off of the net on saturday, downloading things should go a lot quicker (can't let that one go by!)
    Well, I will shut down for a few hours on Monday, timed to co-incide with a scheduled power outage of electrical power.

Richard

Go Back to forum