• Register
  • Help

Topic: Konatakt Player 2 .. Yet MORE problems.

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Konatakt Player 2 .. Yet MORE problems.

For two days a piece I have been working on started some weird behaviour. Held notes in the cellos and basses marked pp developed a crescendo then diminuendo .. which is definately NOT what I intended and is NOT marked in my score. Now I realise this happened when I 'upgraded' to Kontakt Player 2. To confirm this, I set up three test scores using cellos and basses only playing a tied note for 8 bars.

First Score: Tied notes only .. no dynamics .. no hairpins .. zero.
    Second Score: Tied notes marked pianissimo (pp) throughout.
    Third Score: Tied notes with crescendo / diminuendo (< > ) hairpins.

The result in EVERY case was that infernal crescendo / diminuendo which KP2 thought fit, in it's wisdom, to apply to MY music irrespective of my wishes.

Now the questions.

Does anyone know if this is yet ANOTHER bug in KP2? If not ..
    Has this 'feature' deliberately been added to KP2? If so ..
    Can this 'feature' be disabled?

I earnestly hope that whichever is the case this 'behaviour' can be controlled as in my last question.

Just to clarify, I do understand entirely that Gary and his team are not to blame for the problems presently associated with KP2 and that Gary is probably just as frustrated as many of us .. if not more (despite the Dunk Tank).

I am trying to keep to the spirit of my signature but I have to admit that even for me, with all the Finale problems (I use Finale exclusively) and now this, patience with NI and KP2 is getting towards thread bare.

Please tell me ..

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Konatakt Player 2 .. Yet MORE problems.

Michael,

Just to be sure: if you use HP/Fin2k7 in conjunction with GPO KPL2, you won't get any relyable result for now. I can say that KPL2+GPO (and the Gofriller) "has broken" HP so far... We're working on a soon-to-come fix.

R.

Just to clarify on Robert's post, this is a feature of HP--one of the ones that actually works somewhat correctly. However, I agree that it shouldn't do this phrasing at a pp dynamic. Just turn off HP and it will play fine, though you'll have to adjust the velocity settings manually to get the dynamics you want (velocity instead of modulation, for the n- instruments). With HP turned off, you'll also have a greatly reduced number of Finale crashes...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert P
    Michael,

Just to be sure: if you use HP/Fin2k7 in conjunction with GPO KPL2, you won't get any relyable result for now. I can say that KPL2+GPO (and the Gofriller) "has broken" HP so far... We're working on a soon-to-come fix.

R.
    Many thanks Robert and David.

Phew .. This may sound totally weird but I'm actually relieved that this is a bug and not deliberate programming. As such this will soon be fixed
    Michael

Re: Kontakt Player 2 .. Yet MORE problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    This may sound totally weird but I'm actually relieved that this is a bug and not deliberate programming.
    Heh, I agree with this. I just hope they fix it soon.

I can't wait till Finale 2007q...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Those automatic swells (a feature of HP not a bug, since real players would almost never hold a note at the same exact volume) are adjustable. Go into the HP Preferences and look under Dynamics and Volume. There you will see Auto Expression Emphasis. This is what controls the automatic swelling on held notes. If you don't want as much swell just lower the percentage. You could move it all the way to 0% and still use the other features of HP. Also be aware that each different HP "style" has a preset amount set so you can just set up your own custom preferences.

Tom
    Thanks Tom.

I tried adjusting the Auto Expression Emphasis and this seems to work for held notes providing they are not in the final bars. Sustained notes held in the final bars did not have the < > but did have a diminuendo. I then cleared the tick from the 'Automatic Diminuendo on Long Ending Notes' so I could achieve the effect I wanted but this didn't work. A test file I tried still had the diminendo applied to the final held notes.

Hopefully, this will all work in Richard's 'soon-to-come' fix.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Sustained notes held in the final bars did not have the < > but did have a diminuendo.
    Uncheck HP Custom Style | Interpret "Final bars". That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Uncheck HP Custom Style | Interpret "Final bars". That should do it.
    Thanks Nickie .. I tried that and it didn't work.

Just to confirm,

I have unchecked HP Preferences / Dynamics and Volume / Auto Expression Emphasis.

I have unchecked HP Preferences / Dynamics and Volume / Automatic Diminuendo on Long Ending Notes.

I have unchecked HP Custom Style / Interpret Final bars.

With all the above done the < > on held notes is removed except for held notes in final bars which still have a diminuendo.
    Michael

Hi Michael,

Could you please send me yoru file privately? I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert P
    Hi Michael,

Could you please send me yoru file privately? I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks
    Robert
    Hello Robert,

Thank you.

I have emailed you a very simple Finale 2007c test file as requested.
    Michael

Go Back to forum