• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: handling repeated notes? (midi orchestration)

Share/Bookmark

handling repeated notes? (midi orchestration)

some times whe you have repeated notes, especially in the string section. I'm talking about 3 or more repeated notes. i know this is known as machine gun effect in the midi orchestration world.

I read this book called " the guide to midi orchestration" and paul suggested to avoid this machinegun effect, you should vary the velocity and length of each note compared to the next, so that'll add realism to it little bit. Ok i dig that.
    Then he says never use the same sample for repeated notes, because human ear will pick up on it really fast. ..ok i dig that too

But my question is how do you go about doing this though? let's say you have 10 repeated notes in Violin I midi track...i tried keyswitch in EAST WEST plug ins, but it didn't work....loaded samples aren't that close in sound to be used for this..it sounds like crap.....So should i copy and paste this track to different midi tracks, and record every single note with differnt samples and then bounced them to one track???

Also, he suggested using different sample libraries to do this. but that's even harder, because they're recorded in different rooms, and just have totally different character.

Please share your techniques, suggestions for this issue. ..thanks

Re: handling repeated notes? (midi orchestration)

Protoolsguy,

There's a similar question in the topic just below yours - I think the best solution for machine gun effect is the note-channel method. I don't know if ProTools has that option, I know Cubase/Nuendo does, so I think your sequencer should have it too. Just load the articulations you want for the repeated notes in other slots in your player and leave them on separate MIDI channels. Then just set the repeated notes in the piano roll to those channels and set all the notes that follow back to the original channel. You just have to make sure that the MIDI track isn't set to a single MIDI channel, but to all. In Cubase/Nuendo this is called "ANY". I think that is the best way to go when it comes to changing articulations of only a couple of notes.

I really wouldn't recommend using different libraries for repeated notes.

thanks for response, yeah, i read the keyswitch threat. But i thought this could be a topic on its own. And easy to spot for someone who's looking for some info on reptead nots in particular.

If you are using EWSO Gold or Platinum, just use the RR patches. THat's what they are for I do believe.

Eric

Exactly, use the Round Robin/Repetition Patches. They were created for this specific purpose by recording repetitions during the sampling sessions.

Pretty much takes care of the problem ...sometimes you even have a choice about how many repeated notes to use.

matto

Talking Re: handling repeated notes? (midi orchestration)

"PRODUCER TO ARTIST: I don't care if that grace note on the snare hit in bar 9085 works! This is dub 'n bass acid house penis, not ~~~~ing house dub 'n acid bass penis with a twist!" - Nick Batzdorf

Unhappy Re: handling repeated notes? (midi orchestration)

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    Exactly, use the Round Robin/Repetition Patches. They were created for this specific purpose by recording repetitions during the sampling sessions.

Pretty much takes care of the problem ...sometimes you even have a choice about how many repeated notes to use.

matto
    I got so excited about these RR patches you suggested. there's so many editions of these orchestral east west stuff, that confuses the hell out of me. I have the version that has every categorey of instrument seperate. Like brass volume, strings volume, etc....so when i load the strings plug in, i only have strings. But i didn't see and RR patches at all. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    If you are using EWSO Gold or Platinum, just use the RR patches. THat's what they are for I do believe.

Eric
    There are RR patches? I have Platinum and I haven't seen them, can you tell me where they are located? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by atmajian
    There are RR patches? I have Platinum and I haven't seen them, can you tell me where they are located? Thanks.
    The RR patches were introduced in the Pro upgrade. If you have not upgraded, you don't have them.

Oops. Ya sorry about that. I guess you have to have the XP version. Well worth the upgrade price though.

Eric

Go Back to forum