• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions for Garritan & Co RE: Pollata & Amati

Share/Bookmark

Questions for Garritan & Co RE: Pollata & Amati

Heya Garritan & Co,

Just had a few general questions about the Pollota and Amati libs.

First off, any general information on the timeline of release for these instruments? I have such a throbbing use for these, in combination with the Strad and Gofriller, as I'm sure you all do. Also, are they to be released seperately, like the Strad and Gofriller, or perhaps a combo lib, for a little more money?

Will they be on the New Garritan Sampler, or still the K2? It would make sense to stay with the K2, but, who knows.

Just very anxious, now that I have two of four

~Sam
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Re: Questions for Garritan & Co RE: Pollata & Amati

Although there is no timeline of release for these instruments, all we can say is that it is in the works.

The plan now is for them to still be in the K2 player. That may or may not change.

Upcoming instruments will be Pallota viola and Del Jesu Guarnerius violin (rather than Amati Bass). This will complete the quartet.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Upcoming instruments will be Pallota viola and Del Jesu Guarnerius violin (rather than Amati Bass). This will complete the quartet.

Gary Garritan
    I'd just like to say that this is an interesting and welcome development.

Also, I think the Strad would greatly benefit from a programming update to play more like the Gofriller. In particular, I think the trillo retriggering makes the instrument much more playable.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    ...Also, I think the Strad would greatly benefit from a programming update to play more like the Gofriller. In particular, I think the trillo retriggering makes the instrument much more playable.
    Agreed ..
    (the two dots were to make up the minimum 10 letters required for a post, but now that I've written this, I'm way past 10 letters anyways, but if I had known, then I wouldn't have added those two dots, then I wouldn't have written all this explaining why they were there... )
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

So wait, there won't be a Bass lib?!

<!-- My day is ruined. Mr. G, what are ya doin' to me?! -->
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    So wait, there won't be a Bass lib?!
    We did not say there won't be a bass, just that the Viola and Del Jesu will be next

Gary Garritan

Made my day.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    No Amati? A shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody makes a decent solo Bass lib. What do developers have against the ultimate in woody tone?
    Note: I redid this post, as Gary was posting at the same time I was, and my former post needed to be revised.

The delay for the bass library makes sense, as completing the string quoartet is actually quite important. I had kind of wondered how composers would react to having to use the same Strad for both the 1st and 2nd violin parts in a string quartet, and Gary's decision to add a second violin will meet that need.

As for current solo double-bass sound libraries, although I cannot afford it, about the only one that strikes me as being even decent is VSL's.

Digression: As for how a solo bass actually sounds, I would highly suggest listening to any recording by Gary Karr, especially on his Amati. As a solo bass player, his sound has captivated me for most of my life, and I had the pleasure many years (decades actually) ago to sit in on a couple of his master classes. He is so good that when Koussevitzky's widow heard him play, she gave him Koussevitzky's Amati, as Koussevitzky, himself, before becoming the conductor of the Boston Symphony, was a solo bassist. In the early 1930's he made a set of very rare 78's that were eventually remastered by Biddulph, and reissued for the BSO. It is most instructive to hear the sound of that bass in the hands of two masterful players (though at the time of the recordings Koussevitzky was long out of practice). Its sound is readily identified, even on the old 78's.

As one who still plays a considerable amount of solo double-bass, much of the literature consists of transcriptions, especially of works for cello. There remains a great need for solo musical compositions. Much of what does exist is of the Paganini virtuosity level, with a primary emphasis of showing off the player's technique, with musical considerations seemingly being secondary (IMO). Sadly, Joseph Hadyn wrote a concerto for bass (as did a number of other classical period composers), and its main theme appears in his thematical index, but the piece itself is lost.

My hope is that as Gary does release the solo bass library (including an option for using solo tuning, please, please, please ) that others will start to explore the compositional capabilities of the instrument.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by noldar12
    Digression: As for how a solo bass actually sounds, I would highly suggest listening to any recording by Gary Karr, especially on his Amati. As a solo bass player, his sound has captivated me for most of my life, and I had the pleasure many years (decades actually) ago to sit in on a couple of his master classes.
    Jim,

It just so happens that the bass we recorded was Gary Karr's Amati. This beautiful double bass, circa 1611, is like no other. Gary Karr recently donated his famous instrument to the International Society of Bassists.

Gary Garritan

OMG. REALLY Gary? OMG, you're my hero. Incoming Spam.

~Sam Ferrara~

Go Back to forum