• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fourth and Fifth Hour

Share/Bookmark

Fourth and Fifth Hour

I'm basically posting my progress on this piece "Hour by Hour" ... so that one can hear what exactly is accomplished within each hour (or two).

Again, I couldn't stop after just one hour, this time because the music was just too fun to stop... however since I stopped after two hours, the music ends abruptly during a climax, while every instrument is playing something at ffff and the cymbals are crashing on every half note... too much fun. It kind of leaves the whole clock theme for a while though as the pizzicato disappears. Oh well, too bad.

I might change around or take out those drum rolls near the beginning if I can't make them work... they definitely don't sound right when the second melody comes in. I still like how they sound in the first melody though.

So, after 5 hours of work:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour4-5.mp3

And, previously:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour2-3.mp3
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour1.mp3

Enjoy!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Fourth and Fifth Hour

It's SOOOOO quiet. Feels like I'm sitting in the studio.

Pretty melody! The key modulations are catchy. The character changes dramatically in a short time. Still listening.

The ending is a bit jarring.

You have any Maurice Jarre in ya lad?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    It's SOOOOO quiet. Feels like I'm sitting in the studio.

Pretty melody! The key modulations are catchy. The character changes dramatically in a short time. Still listening.

The ending is a bit jarring.
    Hmmm... I'm not sure why it's quiet... it's nice and loud on my headphones, but I'll check my settings next time.

Is the ending too jarring? Perhaps it needs to be lightened up a bit before getting so jarring... I think the orchestration might have remained bombastic for so long that it became ineffective. Perhaps I'll try calming things down a bit more before that last modulation, and maybe slow the tempo down for dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    You have any Maurice Jarre in ya lad?
    Would that be good or bad?

(Holy cow, that guy's still alive... )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Listen to the many movie scores the man has achieved like Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Doctor Zhivago (1965), and A Passage to India (1984), and others including Jesus of Nazareth (1977), and you'll see what I mean.

The 2nd verse, with the percussion is very effective (I like the deep, subtle bass drum) and provides a very nice variation, however, when you pass off the melody to the clarinet @ 0:48, the conductor needs to look at those guys and say "louder please" - they sorta lose that pretty melody. However, you recover nicely @ 0:58, on to the next variation.

God, I wish I had your head for melodies. I'd have sooo much material!!!

[EDIT]
    At 1:16, you are SOOO Maurice!! I LOVE it.

[Another EDIT}

At 2:01, make those brass/woods tight! Short, almost stacatto, answering the strings. The strings are fab, just make the woods/brass just as tight.

[Again, another edit]

If the flutes, @ 0:24 to 0:29 could be LEGATO, it'd be even more wonderous than it is now.

Steve

Thanks for your encouraging words.

I'll have to look up old Maurice... I think the only thing I've heard of his is the infamous Lawrence of Arabia theme (good movie).

Many thanks for the orchestration suggestions! I'll definitely go back and try making the edits you suggest. I think those flutes @ 0:24 to 0:29 were legato, but maybe I messed it up. They were certainly meant to be.

After listening to it with fresh ears, those last eight measure simply must be snipped completely. It's a musical non sequitur, and there are simply too many notes.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Very cute music ! I enjoyed that a lot. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

So, if my calculations are correct if it takes 5 hours to write 3 1/2 minutes of music, it will take 28 hours to write 20 minutes. Man, no wonder I get tired writing music!

Nice piece so far Sean. Delightfully happy! Now I am hearing that melody in my head and it brightens my spirits.

It's development is fun to watch. Let's see some more (after all your not busy doing anything else! rofl.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

OK. After 24hours, going back an taking a listen. The flute melody-solo coming in at 0:22 is way too loud. In a concert hall, I'd think that the guy was mic'd, and he no need to be mic'd.

Other than that, I still like a lot.

Steve

It takes some guts to post the work in-progress like this. If I could, I'd keep my unfinished music locked up in fort knox until I give it the "all done" stamp of approval!

Did you start this from scratch today, or did you already have ideas sketched/recorded/etc.? It's a well written and witty piece on its own, and even more impressive for a mere 5 hours of work.

Sounds good, too -- do you have a pre-set template with volumes/EQ/reverb all set, or are you mixing as you go? Is this all GPO?

Fun experiment in composing under-the-gun, by the way--but I don't see much explanation for it-- did I miss a post where you described your motivation for doing it this way? What prompted you to try the post-as-you-go thing? And are you working towards some kind of deadline, or did you just set aside 5 hours as an experiment?

Nice job, I enjoyed it,
    chris.

I enjoy listening to this piece. I can't believe this was done in just 5 hours, as it would take me around more 5 days. (atleast). Cant wait to hear what the 6th hour brings. . .

-Branden

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast