• Register
  • Help

Topic: Understanding "Garritan Pocket Orchestra"

Share/Bookmark

Question Understanding "Garritan Pocket Orchestra"

Hi All,

I just purchased Cakewalk "Dimension Pro". One big reason I wanted it was because the Cakewalk and Garritan sites said (or implied) it bundles "Garritan Pocket Orchestra". Now that I have it installed, nothing in the Cakewalk documentation even mentions "Garritan" anything. Its installation did consume 7.5 GBytes of my system disk space and I assume that most of this accounts for the digitized sounds from the Garritan libraries. I do have a book on order that more fully explains how to use the software (Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User by Simon Cann). But I want to more fully understand what "Garritan Pocket Orchestra" is. Is it just a cute-sie name for the library of sounds or is it a true subset of "Garritan Personal Orchestra" (the latter being much bigger)? If it is a subset, how much am I missing in the way of instruments (as a percentage if the full GPO)? I am trying to understand what it is that I have here on my system. Does anyone of you have special insight into this question

Thanks, PabloMack

Re: Understanding "Garritan Pocket Orchestra"

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack
    Hi All,
    Is it just a cute-sie name for the library of sounds or is it a true subset of "Garritan Personal Orchestra" (the latter being much bigger)? If it is a subset, how much am I missing in the way of instruments (as a percentage if the full GPO)? I am trying to understand what it is that I have here on my system. Does anyone of you have special insight into this question

Thanks, PabloMack
    It gives you some really great samples, but it's only a sample of the whole package. I.E. No Piano sample, just a harpsichord. One sampling of the most of the major orchestral instruments. Not many samples of the different effects: mute, pizzicato, etc. But it does a good job for a small price!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Wink Re: Understanding "Garritan Pocket Orchestra"

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    It gives you some really great samples, but it's only a sample of the whole package. I.E. No Piano sample, just a harpsichord. One sampling of the most of the major orchestral instruments. Not many samples of the different effects: mute, pizzicato, etc. But it does a good job for a small price!
    Thank you wrayer. I played around with DP last night and found the Garritan Pocket Orchestra subdirectory. It seems to make up only about 660 MBytes of the 7.3GBytes of the Multisampled subdirectory.

I didn't see "Garritan Pocket Orchestra" offered as a separate package on the Garritan website so I would not know how much it goes for by itself. If someone had the Pocket Orchestra does anyone know if there is an "upgrade" to get the missing pieces and expand it to the full Personal version? The Garritan website states that GPO is 2GBytes. This would imply that Pocket is about 1/3 of the Personal edition. Considering how large the libraries are, I wouldn't want to store any of them twice. As for quantity, I calculate that the sample files that come with Dimension Pro is more massive. 7.3GBytes minus 660 MBytes is still a whopping 6.64 GBytes. Quality is something different and it will take time to get to know them both.

PabloMack

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack
    I didn't see "Garritan Pocket Orchestra" offered as a separate package on the Garritan website so I would not know how much it goes for by itself. If someone had the Pocket Orchestra does anyone know if there is an "upgrade" to get the missing pieces and expand it to the full Personal version?
    PabloMack
    I asked Gary that very question and his answer was: You need to purchase the full Garritan Personel Orchestra. The Pocket version is offered as a package with Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 6XL.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Pablo,

Pocket Orchestra is a true subset of the regular "Personal Orchestra", just less instruments and patches, About 1/3 the size as I recall, but still enough to be quite useful.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum