• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where are the acoustic hi-hat patterns libraries in REX-format

Share/Bookmark

Question Where are the acoustic hi-hat patterns libraries in REX-format

Since I got Toontrack EZ Drummer I’ve been thinking about replacing the MIDI hi-hat patterns by real cymbals to fairly easy create a more live feel.

Searching for the definite REX-library containing all the acoustic hi-hat patterns I would need, the results were disappointing

In the old days sample CD’s like AMG Neil Conti’s Funky Drums from Hell (1992), Sampleheads Peter Erskine Living Drums! (1994) and Big Fish Audio Bruce Gary’s Drum Vocabulary Vol. 1 (1995) started to include some solo hi-hat patterns, almost as an afterthought.

In 1997 Pocketfuel RADS Volume 1: Acoustic Drum Construction Kit made a very original library containing hundreds of 2 beat stereo kick/snare loops accompanied by dozens of separate ride-cymbals and hi-hat loops. Unfortunately, all the short loops were done in 89 BPM!
    That same year a Swedish company called Sounds Good AB released Popped Vol. 1 and for the first time 2 to 4 dedicated hi-hat patterns were included in tempos from 80 to 150 BPM (in increments of 10) in Wav-format.

10 years later, and since the introduction of Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, the acoustic hi-hat patterns are still hard to find.

Stylus RMX does include a section called Groove Elements containing some hi-hat patterns, but just as Sonic Reality R.A.W. Rex Edition, these are mostly electronic.
    Drums on Demand Volume 3: Upbeat & Aggressive includes “Loop Layers” containing a few acoustic hi-hat loops, but it is nowhere near a definite library.

I still have to check out BETA MONKEY Drum Werks V, but if anybody knows of any other library please let me know!

Thanks,
    Martijn.
    "I'm worried that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else." Lily Tomlin

Re: Where are the acoustic hi-hat patterns libraries in REX-format

Burning Grooves SAGE Xpander has a nice selection of acoustic hi-hat loops.

Eric, thank you for your reply... Burning Groooves is a golden tip; scrolling down the list it has lots of acoustic hi-hat patterns in 8th of 16th notes: Brite Pop, China, Chunky, Small, Toy & Wet.

However…they are all at 100 BPM. With “Groove Control” this is not so much a problem, but to create the definite library my wish list would be:

· Stereo acoustic hi-hat patterns for Toontrack EZdrummer/XLN Audio Addictive Drums, which can be used in Stylus RMX (REX2 or Groove Control files)
    · Hi-hat closed, half open & open with good labeling (not "hi-hat 1 to 99")
    · Loops that are 4 to 8 bars long with preferably 10 or 15 BPM intervals (75-90-105-120-135) to recreate more of a live feel
    · No showcase for drummers; simple 8th and 16th note patterns with sensible variations (open hi-hat at the end for example)
    · Different sounds: Hi-hat Hi-Fi, Hi-hat Vintage, Hi-hat Dry, Hi-hat Roomy etcetera.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I love Stylus RMX. I hope the next version will turn its focus more on acoustic loops; Groove Control may be very labour intensive (processing every individual slice), but I think it's incredible! Also I own BackBeat since 2001 and I've used up all the loops ;-)
    "I'm worried that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else." Lily Tomlin

TBlizz this is not meant as a criticism, just a general response.

I am no loopmeister but I was hired to score a hip-hop comedy 2 years ago called "Hittin' It" and what I dioscovered is how easy it is to change the Stylus loops and make them your own by:

1. Going into the midi file and changing or deleting some notes.
    2. Changing the quantize setting in the host.
    3. Re-pitching the loops.
    4. Changing the fx or turning them orf altogether annd using 3rd party fx.

If you also have the Expanders the possibilities to make RMX loops sound original are staggering.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Stylus RMX is a great program with lots of possibilities, but it's I think the REMIX tag is justified. I have all the RMX Expanders in AKAI format and they are great, but BackBeat is still my favourite. For the majority of my projects I need acoustic sounding drums, which can be sliced, diced & groove quantized on the fly.

I'm not a drummer, but one trick to make electronic drums sound more real is to use cymbals. In drum replacement the usual suspects are kick, snare & toms.

When using 4 to 8 bar loop acoustic hi-hat patterns in REX2/Groove Control format you could make easily make a groove template from that pattern and apply it to the Kick & Snare. Or even use DNA Groove Templates from Numerical Sound and apply it to all tracks.
    http://www.numericalsound.com/en-us/dept_3.html

When solo-ed you can hear the inconsistencies, but when played together is all gels. Especially if you use that same Groove Template on a MIDI Bass track!

I think there's a market for a tool which can improve the sound of EZdrummer with 33,3% ;-)

Exclamation Re: Where are the acoustic hi-hat patterns libraries in REX-format

UPDATE!
    Kenny Gioia answered my prayers and has made a great & comprehensible hi-hat & ride cymbal library in REX-format for only $24.95

Perfect to use in Stylus RMX as an addition to EZdrummer, DFHS, BFD etc.

Check it out here: http://homepage.mac.com/produceher/h...ary/index.html

Thanks for this; I'll make great use of this product! And you can't beat the price...

Go Back to forum