• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recording sampler output etc.

Share/Bookmark

Talking Recording sampler output etc.

Hi all! I'm having a bit of an annoying piccadilly.

I used to be able to record my soundcards output in hardware directly... I now have an M-Audio Audiofile something or other card (I'm drunk at the moment, so the exact model escapes me... its was like 150$ at most) and I can't seem to find a way to do it... in fact there isn't a way as far as I can tell. Strange... my craptastic soundblaster had this ability but not my newish fancy audio card.

Are there any software apps (preferably freeware... I'm a starving artist living on my moms couch) that can record the samplers output in software? Right now all I can do is loop the analog outputs back to the inputs physically, which obviously degrades sound quality due to the pointless DA AD conversion.

For clarification, I do not use any sampler as a plug-in, because I do not have the $$$ for a decent host right now. I use an ancient 286 midi-only version of Cakewalk that frankly completely destroys the sequencer in any modern "audio+midi" do-it-all package and has zero system footprint.

Anyway... I kinda desperately need to capture some audio in XP somehow without looping it back with actual cords. Not just for my sequences... I have a few psychotic audio synthesis apps I programmed, and I would like to capture their output as well. That and all my old custom tracker songs (I programmed a rather fancy tracker in Quickbasic and ASM many years ago)

I hope that was clear enough... as I said... I am a bit sloshed! Wheeeeee. 4 months without smoking... I decided I deserve a few beers tonight as a reward.

Thanks for any and all help I will forever be in your debt if you can direct me to a viable solution.

Thank you, merry Halloween, Xmas, National Spelunking with Marshmallow Boots day, etc.

Re: Recording sampler output etc.

Help! Desperate!

Well, if I"m hearing you correctly, you may want to try out Totalrecorder... Basically, it's a program that will record whatever comes out of the output of any soundcard... I think that they have a freeware program that does this, but totalrecorder is very cheap, like $18 dollars us...

There's also audio record expert... Also has a trial version...

If you do a search for "capture audio going through sound card" you'll get all kinds of things that do this, and hopefully, one of them will be free...

Tried out Total Recorder... it doesn't work... it keeps saying applications are "outputting silence" even though they are routed through Total Recorder and I can hear them loud and clear. I've set it up properly and tried everything possible and it doesn't record anything.

I refreshed my brain and my card is an M-Audio 192, if that helps.

Why can't Windoze XP just have a way to record it's own output built in? Why does something so stupid simple have to be made so complicated?

[[pulling hair out]]

Von,
    You can totally do that in M-Audio's control panel (here's hopin the 192 has the same panel as the delta series. Just make sure you have the following settings:

The output that you want to capture must be turned up in the monitor mixer page of the M-Audio Panel. i.e. DAW out to A.P. 1/2, turn up A.P. 1/2 in the m.m of the panel.

The software app that you wish to recod with must have it's input set to
    "M-audio....monitor mixer". Set the armed track's outputs to "none", or at least turn down their output levels to avoid a feedback loop.

Belbin

I guess you are PC? Do not know if soundflower (from cycling74.com) is also available for PC (as most of their stuff is) ..... then you could reroute the output to an input you can record .....

best

Well, can you say what M-audio device you have? Don't forget to do a search for "capture audio going through sound card" cause if one application doesn't work, another will...

Also, contact the people at total recorder, they are very helpful... Once I had trouble with Total recorder not working and they eventually figured out what was wrong... I'm sure they will figure out why this is not working with your system... Even with the trial basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    Tried out Total Recorder... it doesn't work... it keeps saying applications are "outputting silence" even though they are routed through Total Recorder and I can hear them loud and clear. I've set it up properly and tried everything possible and it doesn't record anything.

I refreshed my brain and my card is an M-Audio 192, if that helps.

Why can't Windoze XP just have a way to record it's own output built in? Why does something so stupid simple have to be made so complicated?

[[pulling hair out]]

VR,

If you have S/PDIF inputs and outputs, you can loop-back digitally. In that case there's no quality loss. (Unless you want to record 24-bits. S/PDIF is a 16-bit interface.)

Best of luck...

Belbin, there is no "M-audio monitor mixer" input option in any software. Yes this has the same panel most likely. The only input I can get is the analog and SPDIF inputs. Yes it is Delta series. M-audio Delta aps192.

Jon, I have a broken SPDIF cable that I hooked up that works sometimes. The problem is that when I set things to output through that, I cannot monitor what I am recording! Argh. My audio card had no help file or anything that explains any of this, not even on M-audio's site.

Maybe you can go like this...

MIDI -> Samper -> SPDIF

SPDIF -> DAW (recording) -> Analog -> Monitor

Go Back to forum