• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Logic Express Advanced MIDI Controllers Problem SOLVED!!!

Share/Bookmark

The Logic Express Advanced MIDI Controllers Problem SOLVED!!!

This post may need to be moved to the tutorials section, but I remember that there was a post a while ago that many people got involved on in this section. Either way, the initial problem was how to edit MIDI controllers in the Hyper Draw feature of Logic Express that were not listed (pan, modulation, etc.) and no one figured it out. We actually came to the conclusion that you had to purchase Logic Pro to do so, but alas, after hours of fooling around with Logic Express I finally figured it out. I hope this helps.

1) Open a section in the Hyper Draw editor and then double click on the dark gray portion right below "All Velocities" and then a second "All Velocities" will appear:

2) Click on the "Status" Section in the 3rd Box to the far left and change "Note" to "Control":

3) Almost there. Now click on the 60 right after the "-1-:" section in the same box you just changed the "Status" in. Here is where you put the CC number in. For this example try 64, which is your Sustain Pedal. Logic knows this and it will actually label it "Sustain":

*** Note: I have tried many different controllers that are listed in your GPO Manual and they all worked just great. Sustain was the only one it knew the name for, so the others simply showed the number you put in.

4) Punch yourself in the head, like I did, for realizing how easy it was:

Well there you have it. I hope this works, and like I said earlier - I'm sure this will be moved, but I only posted in this section because this is where I remembered seeing the original post.
    Last edited by keithjfuller; 03-27-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: adding something
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: The Logic Express Advanced MIDI Controllers Problem SOLVED!!!

Thanks so much Keith!

I particularly liked the last picture.

This is going to help Logic users out there and I appreciate it.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Keith!
    One other thing you might want to mention is to set the grid to the max (1/92 note) so you can be more precise when you are drawing in continuous data like Expression. (the only reason I brought up this issue in the first place)

I found out this solution before and posted it, but your explaination for setup made it easier to do than my original way. And while I am happy to know that the hyperedit window does allow you to DRAW in the CC data - I am a bit dissappointed because ... without seeing the notes in the traditional piano-roll style edit window, it is really difficult to get really precise. The note velocity data in the hyper edit window shows you where your notes start - but give NO indication where they end. But... if Logic Express is the only thing you have, you've gotta work with what you have.

So I took the Matrix Edit (piano roll midi editor window) and tiled it with the Hyper Edit window and set them to the same window resolution (so measure numbers would line up, that way - I could see precisely where my notes started and ended. It is NOT as good as being able to draw in the data in the matrix edit window, but... the idea here is that you can still edit the data. I set up a Hyper Edit window to only show those controllers I could not draw in with the HyperDraw tool in the Matrix editor. That leaves somewhat less clutter on the screen.

The only draw back to this is - unless you select "scroll in play" when playing back for both of your windows - your two windows will lose sync with each other graphically when playing back. The hyper edit takes a tad longer to redraw when it moves to the next frame. That makes it harder to edit.

Here is a screenshot for what I did to work around the limitation:

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

OK,

i have another question regarding Logic Express.

If I create a MIDI file using another app, say, Finale for instance (which is very common for me to do - write the piece first and then use a DAW to tweak and render), how do I tell Logic to incorporate the MIDI file's tempo, key and time signatures into it when importing?

It does not seem to do that when importing. and never asks me what I want to do in that regard when importing. I have looked at preferences, and see nothing about it there.

I took the same MIDI file and loaded it into Tracktion - there were all my changes and parameters. I loaded it in DP - same thing, Garageband requires me to set up a blank doc first - with key, time and tempo.
    But Logic - nope. Is that common? Am I missing something else?

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

this might not work, but it might depend on what midi format you save it as. i know that there are ones that only save the notes, and i know that there are ones that save everything. i would try saving it as a couple different midi formats.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum