• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture 4 for mac

Share/Bookmark

Overture 4 for mac

Overture 4 for mac is finally entering the alpha phase within few days.

Is this cool or what!!!

Re: Overture 4 for mac

i have overture 4 se that runs fine on my mac even though the disc says windows 2000/xp. are you talking about the genie-soft (old cakewalk) notation program?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I hate to be cynical but I'll believe it when I see it. Don has been talking about releasing Overture 4 for Mac imminently for over a year now. Certainly, it would be fantastic if a stable version of this program came out soon for the Mac platform as it still has features that its competitors lack...
    - robjohn

I chatted with him on the forum and he the porting is now almost complete and he tries to get the alpha out this week. He has combined the code of the mac and the pc version, so the updates should now be almost identical in mac and pc version. But who knows what kind of troubles may come.. but I believe we're very close!

Yea, I mean Geniesoft's Overture. Which Overture do you have?

But I'll write more when it actually happens.

actually, this is weird. my disc says Overture SE 4 but the program on my computer is 3.6. i don't get it. maybe that means it does 4 on pc but 3.6 on mac?
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Yea, that would sound more right.. Overture 4 (any version of it) for mac isn't out yet. Only 3.61, the old one.. weird that the cd doesn't say it.

it actually says for windows 2000/xp. i bought it bundled with GPO from geniesoft. i originally bought them for pc and used it for a while then bought a macbook pro and used the same disc without even thinking about it and it worked. anyway, whats overture 4 going to be like. 3.61 is alright on my mac now. i've actually been thinking about switching to sibelius or maybe just using the logic score editor (which actually is pretty good, and you don't have to switch programs to do editing that way). but anyway, is 4.0 receiving and drastic changes or will it be my 3.6 that functions a little better. thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Yes, 4 has drastic changes. You can look at video demos of the new features from the site www.geniesoft.com (it seems to be down atm). There are some videos of the features and you can read about them too (from the PC version introduction). At least some of the big features are a built-in VST-host, which means you can load your instruments right inside the host. You can also write midi data for GPO (or any other) directly over the score.

In general, it's like another program when you switch to Overture 4. I heard the mac version doesn't have anti-aliashing in the first beta/alpha version, but it's coming.

I would recommend waiting a bit longer and checking it out. And since Don has now combined the source of the mac and pc version and done most of the work of the porting, you can expect the development to start to roll again and the features will come to mac and pc version at the same time.

If you like Overture's way of working in 3.61, wait just for a while more and check out version 4, since it's just around the corner!

that looks really cool. my next question then has to be, what advantages does it have over sibelius? i've used scorewriter and now overture for a while now and for the most part i like them. i tried the sibelius demo and i was quite confused, but it looks like after i got the hang of it i'd love it. so like a said what are the advantages of the new overture and what is the price comparison like? anyway, thanks for your help so far.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Overture 4 for PC seems to cost 300 dollars while Sibelius seems to be about twice the price. That's one advantage.

I haven't used Sibelius myself (the demo kept on crashing) and I've always liked Overture's ease of use and simplicity. Also, the support on Geniesoft forum is very responsive and good and you can also easily reach the actual programmer, so if you have some very good ideas or improvement requests, you are welcome to suggest them.

But like I said, I can't really hand-to-hand compare them, since I've only used Overture. I think Overture is very capable program and it's very good that it enables you to load any vst-instrument, so you're not limited to the built-in sounds or some specific Kontakt Player sounds.

Maybe you can lend your friend's PC (or if you have your own) and download Overture 4 demo from the site. This is the best way to determine wether you like it or not. The most important thing I think is to find a program you find yourself comfortable working with and it inspires you to do stuff (ease of use for example).

Go Back to forum