• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sixth to Eighth Hour

Share/Bookmark

Sixth to Eighth Hour

Here's my "Hour By Hour - Sixth to Eighth" edition... basically the idea was continually post my progress in hourly increments just because I was curious as to how the piece would develop over time and keep a record of it. Hourly increments don't exactly work because when the time is available you can't just stop after one hour!

For the sixth hour I mostly went back and tried reorchestrating some things... things that were bothering me and things that had been suggested before. For the other two hours I wrote more melodies basically... because hopefully you can never have too many melodies in piece... can you? Eh, maybe you can. Well, too bad, I can't help it. I continue the bombastic climax a bit then start settling down. The plan is for the piece to go into a quiet time and reminisce on the melodies of minutes before (or maybe I'll just keep writing new ones...) and then it'll build to another climax and end. Maybe. I wonder how long it will take.

Blather, blather...

Here's the piece after 8 hours (8.2 actually, I needed 12 more minutes):

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour6-8.mp3

And from previous increments:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour1.mp3
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour2-3.mp3
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/HourByHour4-5.mp3
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Sixth to Eighth Hour

It`s getting better all the time...

Sean, you give a great example for that a composition will never end if you have got endless time to complete. Every day there come new ideas... .

In other words: any composition is a result from this day when it is mixed and out. A good friend from me always says: "Ok, this is the result from today. I do not know what I would have played yesterday or tomorrow."

Best regards
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

You've taught me a lesson here Sean!
    Don't post until your finished. don't give everybody a chance to congratulate you on your four and fifth hours then not now hehehe!!

I'll give you my opinion on hour 16

Ray

Hi Sean - Much improved, with well-done new content as well. I'll post more comments later as I study the work.

Stevemitchell

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    It`s getting better all the time...

Sean, you give a great example for that a composition will never end if you have got endless time to complete. Every day there come new ideas... .

In other words: any composition is a result from this day when it is mixed and out. A good friend from me always says: "Ok, this is the result from today. I do not know what I would have played yesterday or tomorrow."
    Great quote! Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    You've taught me a lesson here Sean!
    Don't post until your finished. don't give everybody a chance to congratulate you on your four and fifth hours then not now hehehe!!
    I'm tempted do it more often. After I finish a piece, I'm more inclined to start a new one, where as working like this, posting continual progress, I am more inclined to go back and edit/reorchestrate what I've already done.

Many thanks Steve! Your comments on the last hours have been very insightful and helpful, I appreciate it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Hmmm. I just realized that the end of this version appears to be a very appropriate spot to "da capo" back to the beginning or similar where the flute introduces the first melody.

Stevemitchell.

this is the first time i've listened to it, but its great. it builds incredibly well and the themes are quite catchy. what are the bell/type instruments you used (i think they add a great touch)? anyway, good work and keep it coming.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Hmmm. I just realized that the end of this version appears to be a very appropriate spot to "da capo" back to the beginning or similar where the flute introduces the first melody.

Stevemitchell.
    Good idea, I hope to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    this is is the first time i've listened to it, but its great. it builds incredibly well and the themes are quite catchy. what are the bell/type instruments you used (i think they add a great touch)? anyway, good work and keep it coming.
    Thanks Keith for your kind words! I did use GPO's fine tubular bells at one point, perhaps that is what you hear... the glockenspiel is also sprinkled throughout.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Following this with much interest, Sean... we don't often
    get the chance to watch (er, listen to) the compositional
    process actually in, well, process...

Turning into quite a fine piece, I must say! And the rendering;
    that's likewise top drawer. I've got this torqued up on the
    big, fancy speakers -- and it sounds fantastic!

Keep it coming, my friend!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski

Go Back to forum