• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: In Praise of GPO (and KP2)

Share/Bookmark

In Praise of GPO (and KP2)

Computers are a royal pain in the ol' seat cushion. GPO is one of the few applications that, in theory, could make all those aches and pains worthwhile. The frustrations being expressed currently on the Forum about the KP2 update--the brunt of it being born heroically by Gary and his staff at Northern Sounds--can't detract from this intoxicating promise. At least not for yours truly.

I first got GPO early last year and installed it with the KP1 player on a PC laptop. The installation and registration process was a two week marathon of aggravations and interminable waiting for NI tech support (when I called Garritan for help, Gary answered the phone himself and did everything he could to set me on the right track.) At last I got up and running. Things then sank into a low-grade migraine of serial frustrations (unresolvable pops and clicks; continuous struggles with Cubase's other-than-intuitive architecture, audio interface blues, etc. etc. etc....ad nauseum.) Nevertheless, I somehow cobbled together some short pieces for solo strings and woodwind quintet, no more than student pieces really, but still I was amazed, simply blown away by the quality of the sounds. It was the realization of a lifelong dream of orchestrating music that I hadn't even acknowledged to myself that I had! Then, in late August, a burglar broke into my studio and made off with the laptop. Of course everything musical except a CD of .wav files went with it. At that point, I was tempted to take this as a Sign from On High against the sheer folly of my aspirations.

But I was too deeply hooked. So I bought a MacBook Pro, started to learn Logic, worked out the interface problems and other kinks. And waited for the MacIntel release. And waited....

And waited....

And waited. Until, last week, Yreka!

Like many of the rest of you, I pounced on the update. Pounced with grimly clenched jaw-- fully expecting a new plague of techno-gremlins to descend upon me shrieking like horribly detuned violas. I downloaded, installed and registered the new KP2 player. Well, dang it, whaddaya know! Everything installed seemlessly. The Strad and GPO came up without a hitch in the lovely new KP2 screen. After putting the .nks files in the right place (with quick responsive help from this Forum), I was ready to roll...the closest yet to a trouble-free setup that I've experienced in my decade or so of fooling around with midi and computers.

Logic Pro and KP2 seem to communicate perfectly. I spent one evening loading up a full orchestra on 32 tracks, mostly using the included KS multis. And this past weekend, when not attending to my 5 year old daughter, I started to patch together some new music, including one great big blasting tutti that rattled my teacup in its saucer. I was (literally except for my wrinkles) like a kid in a toy store.

To Gary and your colleagues including those at NI:

Thank you, thank you. Thank You!

There are so many improvements in this update that I'm sure I haven't found them all. But to name a few:

*Ability to load 16 instruments per Player, instead of the 8 before
    *Parameters customized to each instrument
    *Improved dynamic response across the orchetral palette
    *Ease of loading and saving setups
    *Death of "Mod wheel resets to zero"
    *"Intelligent" midi channel setting when adding to previously loaded instruments
    *Adding all those sweet tremelo articulations to the KS section strings

What else is in there still to be discovered?

I've only had a few hours so far with this stuff, so I probably haven't unearthed all the treasures yet. But enough, in any case, to feel compelled to openly express my admiration to Gary and all involved-- for your collective idealism, dedication, and techical prowess. This is the midi equivalent of getting into a new Porsche after a year of driving a sporty but lemony Alfa.

Vrooom!

Re: In Praise of GPO (and KP2)

i couldn't agree more. it was well worth the wait. i only have GPO, and there are zero problems and the improvments are incredible. also, i couldn't help but notice that you are a logic user, just like me. earlier us logic users couldn't figure out how to use advanced MIDI controllers, but i just posted "The Logic Express Advanced MIDI Controllers Problem SOLVED!!!" in the tips, tutorials section. anyway, i would like to second your statement of thank you.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Claysf (and Keith,)

Thanks for the appreciation. It's nice to see that someone *isn't* having trouble with the pre-release. We still have some serious things to work out in the K2 player but the protential is certainly there. When the kinks are history it should be a very useful update for everyone.

One correction in your list of cool new things (that should come as even more good news): Each player can load 64, not 16, instruments at a time. Here's a screenshot:
    www.garritan.com/beta/K2GPO/MaximumInstruments.jpg

Most people will probably never find a need to open a second instance of the player.

Tom

Cubase 4 and KP2 communicate perfectly, too. No Problems!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Claysf (and Keith,)

Thanks for the appreciation. It's nice to see that someone *isn't* having trouble with the pre-release. We still have some serious things to work out in the K2 player but the protential is certainly there. When the kinks are history it should be a very useful update for everyone.

One correction in your list of cool new things (that should come as even more good news): Each player can load 64, not 16, instruments at a time. Here's a screenshot:

Most people will probably never find a need to open a second instance of the player.

Tom
    Tom, if I remember correctly, you are one of the orphaned Logic 5.5 (PC) users, right? How would I access the remaining instruments? As far as I can tell, I only have a max of 16 MIDI channels to work with, and no way to switch to the other banks.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    i couldn't agree more. it was well worth the wait. i only have GPO, and there are zero problems and the improvments are incredible. also, i couldn't help but notice that you are a logic user, just like me. earlier us logic users couldn't figure out how to use advanced MIDI controllers, but i just posted "The Logic Express Advanced MIDI Controllers Problem SOLVED!!!" in the tips, tutorials section. anyway, i would like to second your statement of thank you.
    Keith, I'll look at this tutorial eagerly. And thanks again for your help previously getting me going with the new player.

Tom
    Tom, thanks for pointing this out. I wondered about those buttons, and may never have figured out (the obvious) without your help. Did I miss a post somewhere that spells out all the new features of the player?

Quote Originally Posted by claysf
    To Gary and your colleagues including those at NI:

Thank you, thank you. Thank You!

There are so many improvements in this update that I'm sure I haven't found them all. But to name a few:
    claysf,

And thank you, thank, you, thank you! back at you.

It is so encouraging to hear positive feedback. We know this new update is working well for some and not well for others, but the positives are worth noting. I am glad it's working well for you and appreciate your posting about the new features. We are trying to work with NI to resolve any remaining issues.

Please continue to let us know about your experiences Looking forward to hearing all the great music that will come from the updated GPO.

There are are quite number of new features and thanks for pointing some of them out.

Has anyone found any more new features?

All the best,
    Gary Garritan

The only issue I've had with KP2 is that it complains, when trying to load a patch, that my hardware has changed! Of course it hasn't since I registered KP2! I find that loading a different patch will eventually correct the issue, at which point loading the patch I wanted suddenly works.

KP1 never complains about a hardware change. Thus I'm still using KP1 in Overture to auto load all patches with the score.

I'm trying to narrow the scenario down to a repeatable set of steps that will always reproduce the behaviour.

Other than that, KP2 works well. And yes, I'm mightily impressed with GPO overall.

Rob Manderson

Each player can load 64, not 16, instruments at a time. Here's a screenshot:

Tom
    Except when using the K2 Player as a plugin, you're still limited to 16 midi channels. This is a limit of the sequencer/plugin relationship. You can still load 64 instruments in a plugin, but they must be assigned across those 16 midi channels.

Go Back to forum