• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I have a Finale/GPO question

Share/Bookmark

I have a Finale/GPO question

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered in the past but I'm relatively new here and didn't find the answer in a quick search.

I just upgraded my version of Finale for the first time since 2002. It ships tomorrow so I won't have it until sometime next week. I understand that you can now use GPO with Finale, which I could not do with my 2002 version. Here's my question:

Does it take a special version of GPO or are there some tweaks you have to do in order to use it with Finale?

I'd just like to know before it comes so I can decide where to install it and if I need to do anything special when I do.

Thanks in advance.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: I have a Finale/GPO question

Finale 2007 comes with it's own version of GPO, it's smaller than the original. Both versions work within Finale. If you have the full version of GPO, make sure that when you've done the updates, that you chose to include the notation version as well.

After installing Finale, go to the Finale website and download the latest update to 2007. After installing the update, a PDF file will be installed in your Finale 2007 User Manual folder, "GPOHP Tutorial Supplement". Read that to learn the ways to get the most out of this combination.

You'll also need to put a "gpoinstrument.txt file" in one of your folders. I'll let a windows users give you advice on that.

And lastly, Finale 2007 is almost a completely different program than 2002. Don't assume you know how to use it. Take some time to read the manual about the new features.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Finale 2007 comes with it's own version of GPO, it's smaller than the original. Both versions work within Finale. If you have the full version of GPO, make sure that when you've done the updates, that you chose to include the notation version as well.

<-snip->

And lastly, Finale 2007 is almost a completely different program than 2002. Don't assume you know how to use it. Take some time to read the manual about the new features.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Thanks for the reply, Jeff. This raises some other questions:

1) I've already installed the GPO updates (K2 Player). However, I don't remember whether or not I chose to install the notation version. If I did not, should I run the installation again and, if so, how will that work with NI's Service Center?

2) It looked like, when I ordered the Finale update, that you had to order GPO as an add-on. Is that the same thing you were talking about or is there a small GPO included anyway?

I was already aware that there had been a lot of changes since 2002. So, yes, good advice, well received. (It can't be much worse than when I upgraded to the 2002 version from the old Windoes 95 version which had 3 humongous manuals! That was indeed quite a learning curve!)

Thanks for your help.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

With the new K2 player, the notation version is automatically installed. Be aware that there are some programming problems with the new player and Finale. Hopefully those will be resolved soon, but it does not work as it should right now.

The GPO/Finale edition, comes at no extra charge with Finale. It just is a smaller group of instruments than regular GPO. This Finale version does work correctly now. As long as disk space is not an issue, install this version of GPO as well and start making music.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    With the new K2 player, the notation version is automatically installed. Be aware that there are some programming problems with the new player and Finale. Hopefully those will be resolved soon, but it does not work as it should right now.

The GPO/Finale edition, comes at no extra charge with Finale. It just is a smaller group of instruments than regular GPO. This Finale version does work correctly now. As long as disk space is not an issue, install this version of GPO as well and start making music.

Jeff
    But, the parts that do work are awsome. The sound quality between KP1 and KP2 is breath-takeing. Some articulations are not working properly, but aside from that the sound and ease of operations is heavenly to me. I'm loving it.

When you get your 2007 version of Finale search this website for the past KP2 and How to on this site and contact MM for the .dll file you will need. There is always someone here to help. Especially Tom.

Thanks, Jeff and Samantha.

That's one thing I've noticed about this forum - the friendly helpfulness of everyone. I'm sure it all starts with the person who made all of this possible in the first place, so thanks to Gary as well.

I presently use my GPO with Sonar 6 but there are a lot of times I NEED a score and that is Sonar's weakest area. Thus my decision to upgrade Finale (which was helped along immensely by their current upgrade special. ) I'm looking forward to getting it and getting started.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when it arrives next week.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Next question:

Finale came today - earlier than expected. When installing it I was asked to run the NI Service Center to authorize the Finale GPO. Before doing this I need to know:

How will this affect my current GPO/K2 Player authorizations?

I asked the question to a Finale CS person and he said he didn't think I needed to do it as my current authorization should be fine. That's fine on my DAW . . . but I also did a secondary Finale installation on my other computer which has all of my printers, scanner, and internet attached. My original installation of GPO/K2 Player is ONLY installed on my DAW so the Finale GPO will only reside on my other computer. I'll probably need to authorize that installation but this where I'm hesitant to proceed because I don't want this authorization to mess up my current ones which reside on my DAW. This is probably as clear as mud.

Can someone make sense out of this for me and give me some guidance here. As always, Thanks in advance.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Finale GPO is a separate product from GPO and has a separate authorization.
    (from what I can remember)

I've authorized them both and had no problems.
    When I go to the NI sevice center, they're listed separately.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

Interesting - when I logged in to the Service Center it said all of my products were authorized. So . . . I guess I'm good to go.

Again, Thanks.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

I have a thing to point out here.
    I still uses Studio wich work perfect together with Finale. When the new
    GPO/K2 player came I tested to use it within Finale with GPO full. I only used a piano here. It works ok..., but if I change movement, piece or so it needs to reload the piano everytime. Sometimes when working in one piece the piano has disappeared and has to be reloaded again. The K2 player loads the sounds quicker than earlier but if I have a full symphonic orchestra there will be a lot of loading times. If I want to work with another movement a while it must reload the sounds again even if it has the same setup. And now and then it must reload them even if I am working in the same file.

What I like with Studio is that I can open it in the morning and then don´t have to bother until I close the computer in the evening. I wish there was a similar solution when working with with the K2 player inside Finale. Now I have both Strad. and Gofr. so I can´t use Studio if I use these instruments.

Björn

Go Back to forum