• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Libraries vs. Piano VSTs

Share/Bookmark

Piano Libraries vs. Piano VSTs

Hi all,

I've been scouring the forums here, trying to make my way through the many posts related to piano libraries. For a while I've been using Piano VSTs, but I'd really like to make use of my solid Giga3 set up and get a nice library. I've read a lot of good things about Ivory, and I'm wondering what libraries for GS3 would compare.

I realize this is a much-documented topic, and it's all about personal taste, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I've been looking at these PMI libraries (Emperor, Old Lady, etc) and I've heard some things about White Grand and Black Grand and Purple Grand...(oh, wait )

Friends of mine also like Bardstown Audio's Bosendorfer, which I thought was nice. Can I ask, of these libraries, what do you, the users, use them each for. What are some situations which you find your libraries the most useful? Am I missing any big names? (What drew me to the PMI stuff was the low prices! I need a piano library stat, and $50 for a solid library is pretty slick. Have the "issues" I've read about the Emperor Piano, (delayed sample times or whatever in the lower octaves), been resolved?

Thanks a lot for your advice and knowledge.

Steve K
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: Piano Libraries vs. Piano VSTs

Continuing to listen to demos, I'm very impressed by the 7CG by PMI. I read the requirements and am wondering if it will fly in a dedicated Giga Machine with 2GB Ram and 2.5 processor?

Thanks, and all comments welcome!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    ...the 7CG by PMI. I read the requirements and am wondering if it will fly in a dedicated Giga Machine with 2GB Ram and 2.5 processor?

The Seven Seas Grand has nothing to do with PMI. It's from Sampletekk (who now represent the PMI line alongside their own, hence the confusion).

But under any name, 7CG is an absolutely brilliant achievement, and you can use it handily on the machine you describe. This sample is a fuller-sounding and darker version of the one called "TBO". It's a worthy complement to Ivory.

If you need a bright, light timbre, TBO is another fine possibility.

I seldom play anything except the 7CG nowadays -- jazz trio work, heavy on ballads -- and I find I don't tire of it, the way I have grown fed up with all sampled pianos previously.

Good luck shopping,

Larry

Ahhh, thanks for explaining that regarding Sampletekk and PMI. And for your concise and useful advice. I really was having qualms about not having the recommended 3 GB processor. If it will work fine on a 2.5, I might just drop the dough for it right now...

Thanks again,
    Steve K
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

If it will work fine on a 2.5, I might just drop the dough for it right now...
    It's a bit more than 50 skins, though -- I realize it's easy to get dazzled by that website; things run together in the mind.

If you are talking about the 7CG JUNIOR, that is indeed $49, and it's a great bargain. It is stripped down some from the full Seven Seas, but it's still a very large and excellent piano sample. I use it all the time because it loads quickly. Should you feel the urge to do the full shot later, Worra (who is SampleTekk) offers an upgrade, for the difference in purchase price. There is a greater expressive depth to the full 7CG which is hearable, but not always very important.

I happily run the Kontakt version of the full 7CG on a 2.5 AMD machine, and I can also play it successfully on a 2.0 spare one (the latter with only 1.5G of slowish RAM). So don't sweat the processor.

Sweat the hard disk instead. These big samples really should be on their own hard drive, away from the operating system and preferably away from the disk used for any recording. If that's a laptop you're using, second and third hard drives can get to be a bother.

Go for it. What the hell. Work out problems later, if any surface. You can get some advice here (not from me -- I know diddly about Gigastuff). Worra is tops about helping with difficulties.

Larry

Think I will!

Did you get the direct download of the full one, or did you order the disc? It's a shame I can't do both. I really need it...like, yesterday...but, at the same time, this download option freaks me. What if the computer needs to be reformatted for some unknown reason, for example...

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Think I will!

Did you get the direct download of the full one, or did you order the disc? It's a shame I can't do both. I really need it...like, yesterday...but, at the same time, this download option freaks me. What if the computer needs to be reformatted for some unknown reason, for example...

Steve

I believe the full 7CG is available ONLY on a pile of DVD's shipped to you. It's too big for bearable internet transfer.

The 7CG Junior is best downloaded, if you have broadband. Think twice about that if you're going to try it on a dial-up contraption. Once you get it, burn it onto a DVD for permanent copy. Just standard drill.

Worra's download scheme works splendidly, by the way. Shipping from Sweden to the eastern US has usually taken 10 days or 2 weeks. So the time saving is acute, and it's 10 or 15 bucks cheaper to download, since you evade shipping costs.

Larry

Gotcha. Since I need the library quickly (Like, say, within 3 days or so from now), perhaps my best option is to go with the Junior version for now so that I can download it. Then I can simply order the upgrade to the full?

How would that work? Once I get the DVDs, would I simply 'replace' all the samples from the downloaded Junior set with the ones from the DVDs of the Full Version?

Thanks for stickin with me.

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Gotcha. Since I need the library quickly (Like, say, within 3 days or so from now), perhaps my best option is to go with the Junior version for now so that I can download it. Then I can simply order the upgrade to the full?

How would that work? Once I get the DVDs, would I simply 'replace' all the samples from the downloaded Junior set with the ones from the DVDs of the Full Version?

Thanks for stickin with me.

S.
    I'm a little confused. Are you saying you already have good piano VSTs. If so , why such a huge rush to get a piano sample library. I have a handful of piano libraries and have tried many others too. I also have gone through most of the piano threads here. Please consider this.

There is no piano perfect for every piece, but for every piece there is a perfect piano. Since you can't own them all, sometimes you'll have to settle, but the two I use the most are: Bardstown Bosie and Steinberg's The Grand VSTi. If I could only have one, the Bosie for sure, but I don't know anything about it for Giga, I switched to Kontakt 2. For Giga, I still think the Gigapiano is satisfactory, but not great...perfect for some things though. The Grand can be a bit quirky when rendering with all the features enabled so I recommend adjusting them to lower values at first. For the Bosie, try the free Kornel script, and there are other scripts for free too, just search this forum.

For Giga, the Holy Grail has a really nice tone but some may not like the fact that it uses a sampled resonance instead of pedal down samples. It also come with some neat piano FX samples. Still, not the most versatile. The Steinway B for Giga is also quite good IMHO.

Don't get obsessive like me, you'll waste time that would be better spent on the actually music. No matter what I use, I end up tweaking a lot anyway.

IF you are in such a rush, maybe you should just try this free large Giga format Piano: http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/matshe...aestro-en.html

Uncompressed it is nearly a Gig in size. I haven't actually used it yet, but it gets very good reviews.

Please consider commenting on my Swan Lake piece in this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=52718

For some reason, and I'm not particularly sure why, I just prefer the idea of using a sampled piano if I can, instead of VSTi. Just a personal preference. I've tried piano VSTs before, and there's nothing particularly wrong with them, just a personal preference.

Thanks for your recommendation of the Bardstown Bosie, as I've said, a good friend of mine swears by it as well.

Sure, I'll be glad to check out your thread.

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum