• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another free water cymbal

Smile Another free water cymbal

I added another cymbal to the Zildjan. This one is a 20 inch crash cymbal.

The links are here:-

These were actually the first recordings I made and, as such, there were a few lessons I learned before doing the Zildjan. I suspended the cymbal with a loop of nylon cord through the central hole, which left it very free to resonate, but too mobile. Thus I found it quite hard to get articulations with the heavy, soft beater - whenever I hit the top end of the cymbal the bottom end would vibrate so violently that it made a lot of splashing noises on contact with the water. To avoid this the loud, soft-beater hits aren't actually as loud as I would have liked. Also the bowed samples have less bite, because bowing with much friction caused the cymbal to spin uncontrollably.

For the Zildjan I hit on the idea of taking the spike of a cymbal stand, and lowering the cymbal on that, which left it far less free to move.

Nevertheless these samples make a very good complement for the Zildjan.

Re: Another free water cymbal

Thanks! Very, very generous of you! I'm always on the lookout for some unique samples.

Sorry, forgot to mention, to get the Kontakt program to work you need to upack all wav files into a folder called '20 Inch Crash Samples' and place the NKI file one level higher.

"error, project not found"... are they gone already? Darn.

Go Back to forum