• Register
  • Help

Topic: Upgrade from x2 4400+ to 4000+ Single Core

Share/Bookmark

Upgrade from x2 4400+ to 4000+ Single Core

After extensive testing I'm convinced It will be an upgrade.

I've been using a 4000+ clawhammer for over well a year now. No complaints. ( might be over 2 yrs. time warp here )

I recently built a new machine - X2 4400+, using the same mother board, same ram, same sound card as the 4000+ but it's just not as strong a machine. I can flogg the 4000+ with plugins and it takes it without a wimper, but the 4400+ I can get it to crackle with little effort.
    The only difference in the 2 systems is the bios version ( newer on the 4400+ ) which I can't imagine is the problem.

So ...... I just ordered an other 4000+ only difference being it's not a Clawhammer like the original I have, but a San Diego, which I ~hear~ ( as the scoop goes ) is a tad stronger.

Any comments from the experts on the difference between the San Diego and the Clawhammer would be welcome. I can probably grab a Clawhammer if you think the San Diego isn't as strong.

I never thought I'd switch but I'm gonna sell the 4400+ and build an e6600 box as my next project.

Re: Upgrade from x2 4400+ to 4000+ Single Core

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    I never thought I'd switch but I'm gonna sell the 4400+ and build an e6600 box as my next project.
    As an AMD builder for a decade, I'd also build a Core 2 Duo, if I were in the market today. My son's E6300 machine rocks.

Here's a good article that shows the efficiency of a few architectures, independent of clock speed.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/...ahertz_battle/

My guess is that the difference between the San Diego and Clawhammer will be minor - but if Clawhammer gave good results, so will San Diego.

Thanks for the link. I read when I've got a fresh brain.

Yea. It will be very close I suspect.
    The winner of the 2 will get first chair and the other second chair for now.

The X24400+ get's the boot to eBay for a nice little profit over getting the San Diego for $78.00 delivered!

My attraction towards the e6600 is the extra L2. Yummy.

You can get the 1st generation Intel DCs for less.
    You can get some real affordable power with the AMD 939 platform but you also run the risk of not being able to replace your exact hardware in a few years.

Can you "" a model number?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Can you "" a model number?

Thanks
    I may build another system this summer. I will probably go with a Intel 930 3.0 2M8 DC VT or the 925 3.0 2M8 DC. The last one is about $70 less than the lowest price Intel "E" processor.
    But who knows the prices could drop even more.

Go Back to forum