• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Oy, Again With the Note Audition, Already.

Share/Bookmark

Oy, Again With the Note Audition, Already.

Alright, party people, here's your chance to be heard. For those of you who want Note Audition, answer these questions for me, if you would:

1) Would you like for NOTION to play a specific instrument sound or pitch only (all pitched instruments default to piano, for example)?

2) What about accidentals (pitches not defined by key signature)? Should NOTION replay pitch when accidentals are added or would you want to be able to load cursor with note AND accidental (We call that “sticky cursor”)?

3) Would you like to be able to select already entered notes in order to hear pitch/instrument?

4) How would you expect NOTION to play notes with more than one pitched attached to the same stem or position? Would you want to hear the whole “chord,” one note at a time, or both depending upon selection method?

5) Would you be satisfied if NOTION only used on-board general MIDI sounds instead of NOTION samples for note audition?

6) Do you want to be able to load a note in the cursor, place it in the staff to hear and then drag it vertically to hear different pitches as the “note” moves through staff degrees?

Re: Oy, Again With the Note Audition, Already.

1) Would you like for NOTION to play a specific instrument sound or pitch only (all pitched instruments default to piano, for example)?
    they should be both correct instrument sample and pitch, please.

2) What about accidentals (pitches not defined by key signature)? Should NOTION replay pitch when accidentals are added or would you want to be able to load cursor with note AND accidental (We call that “sticky cursor”)?
    Notion should replay the pitch

3) Would you like to be able to select already entered notes in order to hear pitch/instrument?
    dragging notes would be cool (like Logic) but that's probably a totally diferent thing. So basically,yes, it would be good to click on an existing note to hear it if need be.

4) How would you expect NOTION to play notes with more than one pitched attached to the same stem or position? Would you want to hear the whole “chord,” one note at a time, or both depending upon selection method?
    i think scrolling up through the stem on individual notes would be better

5) Would you be satisfied if NOTION only used on-board general MIDI sounds instead of NOTION samples for note audition?
    absolutely not. this would defeat the purpose of note audition IMO

6) Do you want to be able to load a note in the cursor, place it in the staff to hear and then drag it vertically to hear different pitches as the “note” moves through staff degrees?
    cool. that;s what I eluded to earlier. most definitely yes!

Agree with Dave on all counts.

Jim Rowell

) Would you like for NOTION to play a specific instrument sound or pitch only (all pitched instruments default to piano, for example)? If I ever use this feature (which I doubt), I'd prefer the pitch with the tone colour, as for me anyway, they are interlinked.

2) What about accidentals (pitches not defined by key signature)? Should NOTION replay pitch when accidentals are added or would you want to be able to load cursor with note AND accidental (We call that “sticky cursor”)? Note and accidental;might as well be ergonomic.

3) Would you like to be able to select already entered notes in order to hear pitch/instrument? Yes.

4) How would you expect NOTION to play notes with more than one pitched attached to the same stem or position? Would you want to hear the whole “chord,” one note at a time, or both depending upon selection method? Both.

5) Would you be satisfied if NOTION only used on-board general MIDI sounds instead of NOTION samples for note audition? Absolutely not.

Yes, that's useful.

What they said, mainly. But it would not bother me too much to hear on-board sounds, just for that brief moment. I'd much prefer a kind of 'standard' sample of each instrument provided from the NOTION sounds, but it's very quick to change to hear the real playback for that section.

One thing missing from all the notation programs I know: The ability to play one note, but throughout the score. That it, I click on the first note of the piccolo part, and hear every instrument playing at that time, and sustained. That would have to be in the actual NOTION sounds, so that you could audition the harmonic colour and instrumental balance of that one chord.

1. This Should be the sound that’s on the stave your placing a note to.

2. Chromatic and let notion put the appropriate # b or naturals as the the current key. Please also note! When adding new score instruments notion should include the appropriate keys for those added staff’s.

3. Yes. Touch and hear.

4. Yes. This is almost here now with the highlight-shift-command-click. However this should only play and stop what’s highlighted.

5. If this is easier to implement sooner but sounds really should be from within the application (Notion Sounds)

6. Yes. Vertical and horizontal so you don’t have to repeat the selection if you slightly missed the horizontal placement.

My POV Note: Some form of timing synchronization (Rewire*, Midi Time Code, Midi tempo export) For production integration is higher on my list for fully using Notion.
    All the above is certainly fine and welcomed.
    24 bit lay-off’s is high on my list as well.
    *Rewire Does get around the “MIDI” “Music-XML” production issues.

BTW:
    Thanks for asking! This is a very enjoyable application to use.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    they should be both correct instrument sample and pitch, please.

Notion should replay the pitch

dragging notes would be cool (like Logic) but that's probably a totally diferent thing. So basically,yes, it would be good to click on an existing note to hear it if need be.

i think scrolling up through the stem on individual notes would be better

absolutely not. this would defeat the purpose of note audition IMO

cool. that;s what I eluded to earlier. most definitely yes!
    What he said.

Seriously, it might be good to think of it as "sample audition" as well as "not audtion" because I think some of us are trying to "hear" the articulaton/whatever as we put it on, and could then instantly hear if we got it *wrong* without having to do a playback.

It would just work faster to help us...

REALIZE MUSIC.

Definitely with all the NOTION sounds of the respective staves/instruments.

In any case, the "sticky cursor" feature would be favorable.

Yes, and playback only for the selected measures/staves.

It would be nice to differentiate between voices in multi-voice mode, e.g. to listen to one or another or both voices when selected.

Definitely only NOTION samples for note audition!

This makes sense only if you work in step-time mode without any MIDI keyboard at all.

Basically, it should be possible in NOTION – as is the case in FINALE and SIBELIUS – to enter notes in step-time mode directly by playing the MIDI keyboard without hitting, for each note, the space or enter key!

Hansen

"When adding new score instruments notion should include the appropriate keys for those added staffs."

This is important! In a tonal piece, with lots of key signature changes, this is helpful.

Hi

The note sound issue has never been a biggie for me, but midi or Notion would be fine for me.

Also, to hear the chord would be fine also. Someone brought up the possibilty of an orchestra chord, but I am assuming that would be limited to a given beat in a meaure. What I mean is, if a woodwind was playing a quater note on the third beat, the whole note string section may not play. I know it is that way when certain areas of play back are started throughout a score where a lot of ties are involved on some instruments and not on others.

I would really like to have the ability to move a note up or down vertically after I've made the selection. Sometimes I accidently place a note on a line when I wanted on a space (or the other way around) and it would be nice to just hit the arrow keys and move the note up or down a step or two.

I like these feedback questions. I think it a positve thing for Notion to do and thank them for being interested.

Go Back to forum