• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Passacaglia (organ)

Share/Bookmark

Smile Passacaglia (organ)

Hi friends,

here's the final version of the passacaglia which will be part of 3 movement organ work.

Passacaglia

All comments positive and negative are welcomed.

Enjoy!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Passacaglia (organ)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hi friends,

here's the final version of the passacaglia which will be part of 3 movement organ work.

Passacaglia

Enjoy!
    Hi Falcon, I first heard this a few weeks back when you mentioned it during one of the chat sessions. I enjoyed it then and, hearing it again now even more so. I like the way this builds from the opening pedal notes - and the various layers of embellishment that follow. An imaginative use of different stops to create colour and variation.

One can never hear a passcaglia without being reminded of Bach's monumental effort - which is a very difficult, if not impossible act to follow. But with this, you have succeeded in capturing the nobility and gravity of this particular musical form while giving it your own mark of originality and personality.

A superb effort! Can't wait to hear the completed work.

Regards, Graham

This is outstanding, Stefan! I really enjoyed the majesty of your piece. Thank you for sharing your fine music with us.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Smile Re: Passacaglia (organ)

Thank you both for the comments!

Graham, Bach's passacaglia is of course THE passacaglia in many peoples mind and mine included. However, that shouldn't keep others from using the form - in fact there are quite a few very great passacaglias out there for example one by Rheinberger and another by Max Reger, and of course the final movement of Brahms 4th symphony is indeed a passacaglia.
    However, there's one purpose which my passacaglia have which Bach doesn't have but it will only become to light when all three movements are finished.

Larry, thank you for your kind words - really appreciate it.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Stefan,
    Like Graham, I already congratulated you on this personally in the chat room but, I now have great pleasure repeating that here in the listening room.
    I don't know about passacaglia, I only know this sounds wonderful.
    Great writing, great performance, and great instrument. You've ticked all the boxes.

Best Regards

Ray

Thumbs up Re: Passacaglia (organ)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hi friends,

Passacaglia

Enjoy!
    I've only one (negative? not really...;-) comment about the quite classic approach, that can make less available some modern composer to appreciate it. But probably you too can make it more modern if you want.

But the eccellent, solid and well mastered architecture of a piece like that, and the euphonic, pleasent effect of melody and harmony, make it so nice to listen, and asking respect and admiration for the composer!

The fugue?

Keep in touch my friend, ciao

F.

Smile Re: Passacaglia (organ)

Thank you Ray and Fabio for your comments.

Hehehe... Fabio, you smell the fugue coming? Of course the plan is to conclude the piece with a fugue, probably a triple fugue.

Regarding modern or not, I think this is just my voice and if the voice is old fashioned then so be it. When I write a piece I don't think about now I need to be modern or something like that, rather I think about what I want to say and how is best to express it with means which makes sense (in my mind ). I also try to write music which I also can enjoy listen to.

Your last paragraph really sums up what I try to achieve with my music!

Again thanks and stay tuned for the next 2 movements.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

i've never really listened to organ music before, so i didn't know what to expect, but this was an awesome piece. i think it is easy to underestimate the degree of difficulty to writing music for an instrument like an organ because its just one instrument - but there are tons of parts so it could easily be orchestrated for an entire orchestra. anyway, i really liked the part about half way through where it broke into those single lines. it felt like they were chasing eachother.

my question is - is this a playable piece on an organ or do you need multiple players? i have no idea. anyway, this was a cool piece - i'm looking forward to more.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

This is a gorgeous piece of music. I enjoyed that a lot. I'm glad you mentioned your "voice" and that this is your comfortable way of communicating. It's so nice to have a community like this one where one is appreciated no matter what your "voice". Unfortunately there are composer forums where one is frowned upon where one's music sounds even remotely tonal.

Anyway, it is a great piece.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

This is oustanding work, Stefan! Absolutely gorgeous!

Some of the voicing in this is sheer delight for me... and
    the strength and substance of the composition is simply
    irrefutable -- and irresistible.

Bravo!

Stunningly good job on this, my friend... I've gracefully
    retired from the pipe organ for some years; but you
    inspire me to reconsider.

With great admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast