• Register
  • Help

Topic: Posaune

Share/Bookmark

Posaune

Surfing the Internet I found that it means: trombone [not in any of my dictionaries]. But is it a straight translation or is the Posaune different from any normal Trombone?

Raymond

Re: Posaune

As far as I know it's just the German word for trombone (I lived there or a couple of years, but my German is starting to fade).

I'm pretty sure that 'posaune' is just the common german word for trombone.
    I don't know of any differences between the trombone or 'die Posaune'.

Quote Originally Posted by engson
    I'm pretty sure that 'posaune' is just the common german word for trombone. I don't know of any differences between the trombone or 'die Posaune'.
    Thanks both of you. And I thought it was french!!!!! That's why I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

Raymond

This is indeed the german word for trombone.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Here's a quick reference chart for all the orchestral instruments and more:

http://www.library.yale.edu/catalogi...c/instname.htm

It gives orchestral instrument names in English, French, German, Russian, Italian and Spanish (although the Russian is transliterated into the Latin alphabet for some reason).
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Lightbulb Re: Posaune

Die Posaune is exactly the same as an ordinary trombone, but comes with a handy beer holder on the slide.

I wouldn't put too much trust in some of the french translations however. there are some, well, strange things there.

Harp in french is most definately NOT harfe.

and glockenspiel is known as either glockenspiel (the same name, in other words) or as "jeux de timbres".

I have yet to see woodwinds refered to as "instruments à vents en bois" (which would translate back into english as "wind instruments made of wood"... trust me, it sounds just as funny in french).
    they are usually simply "instrument à vent" or "les bois".

same goes for brass - normally refered to simply as "les cuivres" or just "cuivres".

oh, and tubular bells are NOT "cioches tubolaires". They most definately got THAT from a hungarian dictionary, because it sure ain't french! you can use just "cloches" or "cloches tubulaires"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    Here's a quick reference chart for all the orchestral instruments and more:

http://www.library.yale.edu/catalogi...c/instname.htm

It gives orchestral instrument names in English, French, German, Russian, Italian and Spanish (although the Russian is transliterated into the Latin alphabet for some reason).

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    same goes for brass - normally refered to simply as "les cuivres" or just "cuivres".
    I thought it was french because the word has all the phonetics (written) of a french word, not thinking of some simularity of this in other languages.

"Brass" reminds me of a holiday in Cambridge (UK) where there was a "brass exhibition" and I thought that it had to do with music. I even wasn't close. It was just an exhibition to show what people made of brass (copper) in history (armory, etc.). So, instead of a musical afternoon, I witnessed something else. That's the problem with languages.........

Raymond

Go Back to forum