• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loading more than 16 instruments into KP2

Share/Bookmark

Loading more than 16 instruments into KP2

In theory, KP2 can load and play 64 instruments, but....
    I'm not able to get the ones loaded in the second bank of KP2 (17-32) to play. The midi signal isn't going to them. Of course they have to share midi channels with slots 1-16, which play fine. This appears to be analogous to the sharing of midi channels when using multiple players in the old KP1. So slot 17 is midi channel 1, slot 18 is ch. 2, etc. Am I right, and if so what am I missing?

I'm sure the solution is obvious....
    ....just not to me.

Clay Young

Rig: MacBook Pro with Logic Pro

Re: Loading more than 16 instruments into KP2

According to the Kontakt 2 documentation it is possible for each of the 64 instruments to have a separate MIDI channel but only if you have a 4 port MIDI interface for live playing or host software that supports 4 virtual ports. Each port has 16 MIDI channels = 64 separate channels. With a single port MIDI interface or host software the 3 additional "Multi pages" can be used for layering. I have no idea which sequencers support multiple virtual ports.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by claysf
    I'm sure the solution is obvious....
    ....just not to me.
    Open a 2nd KP2? It would give you an exatr 16 midi channels. Then a 3rd and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Open a 2nd KP2? It would give you an exatr 16 midi channels. Then a 3rd and so on.
    Yes, of course, but I think the ability to load 64 instruments within a single instance is certainly an interesting feature for those who have the extra ports available. As with the previous Kontakt player, multiple instances can certainly be opened (up to the limits or one's computer) as you suggest.

Tom

Tom,

I actually think that I might get lostwith 64 midi channels here and there. Especially with those names of the articulations

somehow it just works for me to have K21 K22 K23 K24 etc... (up to 6 so far with 2 GB of RAM and not with GPO actually...). It seems tidier. Of course you do lose a bit of CPU (not too much usually), but tiny ammounts of RAM really, so it's not bad.

Still I would like to see someone caoming with a solution o n64 midi channles. It's highly interesting indeed, and I can learn new tricks! yoof yoof

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    According to the Kontakt 2 documentation it is possible for each of the 64 instruments to have a separate MIDI channel but only if you have a 4 port MIDI interface for live playing or host software that supports 4 virtual ports. Each port has 16 MIDI channels = 64 separate channels. With a single port MIDI interface or host software the 3 additional "Multi pages" can be used for layering. I have no idea which sequencers support multiple virtual ports.

Tom
    Tom-

Thanks for this clarification. Of course the circumstances are rare where I'd need more than 16 channels, but I thought it would be fun to load a whole grand orchestra on one player.

You mention Kontact 2 documentation. Where can I find it? Then I won't have to bug you with as many questions.

You mention Kontact 2 documentation. Where can I find it?
    Among all the files you receive, when you buy Kontakt 2 (not the same as Kontakt Player 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Among all the files you receive, when you buy Kontakt 2 (not the same as Kontakt Player 2).
    Okay, thanks Nickie. But I do think those of us who got KP2 as part of the GPO upgrade could use documentation too. Tom, any chance for this?

Okay, thanks Nickie. But I do think those of us who got KP2 as part of the GPO upgrade could use documentation too. Tom, any chance for this?
    The documentation we include (in the documentation folder of the install) gives basic information about the player and more detailed info about the library. I don't know if NI has a downloadable .pdf manual that covers the K2 player features in depth but if you click on the "info" button on right hand side of the library interface you will get a window that has a series of tabs. Click on the "forum" tab and it will take you to the NI site where you can access the Support section at the top of the page and explore the Support Knowledge Base and Training tutorials for NI products. Questions can also be asked in the forum section. All of this depends, of course, on if you have an internet connection for the K2 machine. When I answered the original question I just went to the shelf and grabbed the hard copy of the K2 manual.

Tom

Go Back to forum