• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Question

Share/Bookmark

Newbie Question

What is Notation. Is this competing product with FINALE, what is the difference. Also, what would be the reason someone used to using Cubase in its nottion mode would want to use this product, instead of or in addition to? How hard is it to learn if you've never used anything but cubase?

Re: Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by crazyox
    What is Notation. Is this competing product with FINALE, what is the difference. Also, what would be the reason someone used to using Cubase in its nottion mode would want to use this product, instead of or in addition to? How hard is it to learn if you've never used anything but cubase?
    I've used Notion and Finale, not used Cubase. Finale can do anything - but can you remember how to do it a second time once you figure it out the first time? That has been my experience and I gather it hasn't gotten that much better the last couple of years. With Notion, it's straight notation - you choose your instruments, put in the notes as you would write them on a score, dynamics, articulations and all, and Notion plays back with the London Symphony sampled sounds. Much, much easier to use than Finale.

Jon
    WinXP, 3 GHz/1.5 GB RAM. Notion, Sibelius3, GPO Studio, M-Audio 2496, Mackie 1202VLZ, Korg X5, M1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Knowles
    I've used Notion and Finale, not used Cubase. Finale can do anything - but can you remember how to do it a second time once you figure it out the first time? That has been my experience and I gather it hasn't gotten that much better the last couple of years. With Notion, it's straight notation - you choose your instruments, put in the notes as you would write them on a score, dynamics, articulations and all, and Notion plays back with the London Symphony sampled sounds. Much, much easier to use than Finale.

Jon
    Thank you so much! I was afraid no one was ever going to answer. Here is my dilema, though no imediate solution will be possible for financial reason (unless there is a time limited demo), but as soon as possible, I need to be able to take a midi file, preferably but not neccesarily having a non quantized structure, and import it into somthing where i can, without editing midi controllers, tell the program to play this section louder, or this note as a grace note, or this section legato. Is that making any sense? Is that possible with this Notation program. Also, thankyou for the asvice on Finale. I was leaning that way because I read that it has exceptional functionality (at what I don't know) and I normally don't mind taking the time to learn things...but I'm spending more time learning than producing music, which is the whole reason I want something like this in the first place. Some things I can just play on the keyboard, but I'm not that skilled and would like to sometimes just click in the notes in my head with a mouse and 'tell' the computer how I want it to sound. A program like that, integrated with an orchestral library as I believe this to be, would give the power of both composer and conducter, two things I could never be in a pre-computer era.

Thanks again.

The method you describe is precisely what NOTION does. It features a format much like good old fashioned composing--entering (rather than drawing) the proper note value on the proper line or space. Any articulations, dynamics, etc are also added. And, voila, the correct sample plays the passage back with all subtlety of expression immediately at hand. If funds are tight right now, a trimmed down version of NOTION, called Protege, is also offered by the company Virtuosoworks. I even saw a demo copy of Protege bundled in Music Tech magazine. Perhaps you could check it out. The learning curve is minimal with NOTION. I'm a real fan of this application.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTewes
    The method you describe is precisely what NOTION does. It features a format much like good old fashioned composing--entering (rather than drawing) the proper note value on the proper line or space. Any articulations, dynamics, etc are also added. And, voila, the correct sample plays the passage back with all subtlety of expression immediately at hand. If funds are tight right now, a trimmed down version of NOTION, called Protege, is also offered by the company Virtuosoworks. I even saw a demo copy of Protege bundled in Music Tech magazine. Perhaps you could check it out. The learning curve is minimal with NOTION. I'm a real fan of this application.
    Thanks a lot. I don't know if we get Music Tech in a samll town like mine and they'd be gone by the time I get anywher else, but I'll see what I can do. This really helps me because I at least know that it is possible and, God willing, I will eventually be able to make that dream come true. I always thought that if I could just get the notes from inside the skull outside the skull exactly how I heard them (I tried trepanning, but that was a disaster...just kidding, look it up if you don't know what it is), then I could do anything. Of course, everyone probably feels that way.

Go Back to forum