• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Strangest problem I have ever encountered

Share/Bookmark

OT: Strangest problem I have ever encountered

Hi all,

I've been posting a lot lately, and I'm very encouraged by the helpful responses I've gotten from really knowledgable and helpful folks. I am really hoping someone can help with this, as NS has become my last resource at this point.

Recently, I updated firmware and drivers for my RME Multiface because prior to that, I had been experiencing some odd popping and clipping whenever I had played any sort of audio. I updated the firmware, installed new drivers and things seemed to be okay.

However, today, when I began playing things, the clicking and popping returned, but only on audio data which I recorded into the sequencer and then played back

The popping does not occur with midi playback to my knowledge. It is a "measured" popping, not staticy, not crackling, just like one pop every second. (Though I believe the louder it is or the more audio I have in the project, the more discernable it is)

This is really bumming me out because it just happened and I've wasted days trying to figure it out. (Welcome to digital audio, right?)

Can anyone suggest anything? How would I even begin to troubleshoot this issue? At first I thought it was a sequencer issue: some errant setting within Sonar or something, so I recorded some audio into Sound Forge, but upon playback, I get the same measured clicks. The clicks are not (to my eye) visible in the wave form.

I really don't know what to do, or what issue could be the problem.

Any help is greatly desired and appreciated.

Steve K
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: OT: Strangest problem I have ever encountered

Do the audio files you have rendered run smoothly in programs outside your DAW, such as Winamp or WMP?
    If so, this sounds like the exact same problem I had the other day--- in Cubase 4! This does not seem to be a specific DAW related problem.

MIDI plays back fine, but and DAW-rendered audio would play back with clicks just as you described. However, if I imported a WAV file rendered another computer with Adobe Premiere, and played that raw data without converting it into a different format, I had no clicking problems.
    The audio I export from Cubase runs fine in other programs, such as Winamp and Premiere.

After many hours of troubleshooting, (and multiple software and driver re-installs) my brother and I discovered that the problem appeared to be in the audio codecs my computer/DAW was using.
    This is as far as we have gone with the problem, but my brother (who is a very knowledgeable IT guy) says that a re-install of windows would probably fix the problem; but since we have not tried that yet, we don't know for sure if that is the solution.

Hopefully some of this is helpful!

I usually track pops and clicks to Word Clock issues. Are you 100% positive you've ruled out WC as a potential problem?

After that I ask if you've made a full transition to Mac from windows. That will solve most of your problems LOL

If all else fails contact George at Synthax (RME).
    He is very knowledgeable and helpful and speaks very clear English.
    his email is....
    george@synthax.com

I love my RME HDSP 9652 and Multi-face.
    Dan

Steve,

I've had the exact same problem with a Delta 10/10, except the popping also occurs with midi playback. It only happens inside Cubase, and it is a 'pop' per second.
    What I have discovered, is that the HDD light on my tower lights up in time with the popping, so I believe that the problem could be related to a hard drive malfunction of some sort. Are you using a RAID setup?
    I'm not really an expert with computers, and I have not been able to solve this problem, but you might want to check the light on your tower and see if it is in time with the popping.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! Here's my status at the moment:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McGery
    Steve,
    What I have discovered, is that the HDD light on my tower lights up in time with the popping, so I believe that the problem could be related to a hard drive malfunction of some sort. Are you using a RAID setup?
    Thanks for this. My HDD drive doesn't seem to echo your problem and I don't have a RAID setup, so for now, this might not be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    If all else fails contact George at Synthax (RME).
    I appreciate this, Dan.

I've put in an email to George and got a relatively useless response this morning unfortunately. He's swamed at the Musikmesse (sp) show in Frankfurt though, so... You're right, he usually comes through, so hopefully he'll have some more knowledge. He advised rolling back the drivers, but, after doing a Flash Utility Tool update to update the firmware of the RME, the old drivers do not install properly: the installation continues to prompt for files which are part of the new driver set only. Any attempts to ignore them render the device useless. (I use the exact same two cards, Dan, and I do love them, too. This is my first issue like this I have ever come across... what a time for it to happen, eh? Deadlines abound...)

Quote Originally Posted by JWhaley
    I usually track pops and clicks to Word Clock issues. Are you 100% positive you've ruled out WC as a potential problem?

After that I ask if you've made a full transition to Mac from windows. That will solve most of your problems LOL
    Thanks, J. Well, I've never used a Word Clock and therefore, never changed the settings concerning it. (I've also never had any faulty performance up until now, though. Sync has never been a problem.)

As for the Mac... I'm beginning to wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    1) Poor soundcard drivers (I'v never experienced this with RME)

2) You did not say whether you where running MME, WDM or ASIO drivers - use ASIO if possible.

3) Turn off any virus checker or automatic update type stuff in your system.

4) You may have a virus or something floating around in your system. Run virus, adware and spyware scans.

5) There may some incompatibility with using the Multiface with your sequencer/recording app - the best bet is to check the forum associated with the specific sequencer/recording app and ask about the problem and drivers/compatibility.
    Thanks, Stephen! I, too, have never experienced poor driver quality with RME, which is why I hesitated in contacting them. I thought it must be something with my sequencer. Now, I'm not so sure, since, as I said, the problem also occurs when recording in Sound Forge.

I am running ASIO drivers currently.

In the past, (like, say, up until 3 days ago), I've been able to run AVG alongside everything else in my DAW without any problems at all. Of course, this likely means nothing, so I am currently running another virus scan, and then will disable AVG and test the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBotkin
    After many hours of troubleshooting, (and multiple software and driver re-installs) my brother and I discovered that the problem appeared to be in the audio codecs my computer/DAW was using.
    This is a very likely possibility, actually. Recently, I'd installed several DVD decoding programs to try to back up film stuff. Since that point, I've uninstalled them and defragmented the harddrives, but I'll bet that could be the issue. Gosh, there's no way around it without reformatting, eh?

Thanks so much all for all of your suggestions. I'll get it licked, yet.

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

To all interested,

Reformatting Windows has fixed my issue. In fact, thus far, with the new RME drivers, things actually function better. Woo!

Anyhow, thought I would post an update!

Best, and thanks again,

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum