• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Here are the Best Free Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Here are the Best Free Instruments

I've collected a few freeware sets over the years here is a list of my favourites. These are samples and instrument patches that are legally free as they have been generously made freeware by their creators.

I'm not posting links, because some of the sites have rules about direct links to the samples since they make their money from the ads on the site's main page....

Here are the ones I think are the best:

1) The Akai Splendid Piano, which is hard to find in the original format (the one I have), but it is available as a free soundfont...just google splendid pinao soundfont. It was originally an akai instrument that akai provided for download for free on their site but the original link is dead. I have no knowledge of the copyright legality of the conversion to soundfont from the original samples if you are concerned, contact the Splendid Piano soundfont's creators, not me. I would provide an upload to the original Akai samples except that I do not know if I would require permission from Akai to do so.

2) The upright bass samples at echochamber (you must google the following: echochamber.ch and then click "translate this page" which is a blue colored link on the google list...then look for exs instruments link. It is a set of zip files called doublebass1.zip etc. this instruments can be converted to Kontakt. Note that there is one sample missing because of a corrupt zip so if you use this as a exs/kontakt instruments, you'll need edit the patch to stretch one of the other samples. But the set sounds very good.

3) The Maestro Concert Grand by Mats Helgesson

4) The university of Iowa electronic music studios...various anechoic samples but no patches, so mostly only good for single note samples unless you want to spend a lot of time programing. Here is a thread where one fine gentleman did some of that work for us: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...5&postcount=35
    The anaechoic samples would also be usefu;l if you download a few notes to compare with pro library samples for educational purposes such as analysing reverb qualities or comparing convolution impulses to find one that most closely matches the original.

Others have added many more great links in this post which has grown over time. I thank everyone for there interest and effort.
    Last edited by crazyox; 05-29-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: update

Re: Here are the Best Free Instruments

We've got a few Giga instruments here that people have found useful over the years. Trumpet, Acoustic Guitar, Percussion, etc.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Quote Originally Posted by timzydee
    We've got a few Giga instruments here that people have found useful over the years. Trumpet, Acoustic Guitar, Percussion, etc.
    Your trumpet is awesome! I can't wait to hear what the modular series trumpet will sound like.

I keep thinking you've got to be kidding. Worra (Sampletekk) offers several of his great multi-layer piano's, along with Michel's (PMI), at a list price of $50 or less. It seems every month he's got a "40% or so" sale going so if you wait they are $30 and downloadable. You managed to afford Kontakt so you have access to them.

As a point of reference, I also started my learning curve with soundfonts and free instruments and in fact, passed up the Splendid piano years ago. Unless I really enjoyed instrument programming, had a specific sonic requirement, needed an unusual instrument or worked for minimum wage in Kansas I would question the time and results of doing it myself. Given Sampletekk/PMI quality and Worra's prices it's hard to make money the issue.

Ernie

PS: Minimum wage in Kansas is $2.15 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    I keep thinking you've got to be kidding. Worra (Sampletekk) offers several of his great multi-layer piano's, along with Michel's (PMI), at a list price of $50 or less. It seems every month he's got a "40% or so" sale going so if you wait they are $30 and downloadable. You managed to afford Kontakt so you have access to them.

Ernie

PS: Minimum wage in Kansas is $2.15 an hour.
    I don't know what Kansas has to do with this topic, but as far as what you said about $30 pianos, that is great, but somepeople who own expensive pianos have told me they love the akai samples (not necessarily the soundfont version) and find they mix really well, more than the pro pianos that are great for solo. It costs absolutely nothing to add the free samples to the arsenal even if you have every non-free sample set under the sun.

Also, some samples like the free Gothic Harp are very unique and you can't buy them anywhere. Why wouldn't you want them for free?

Thanks for the info about the good deals though.
    Last edited by crazyox; 05-29-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by crazyox
    Worra is one of the great ones, but just for the record, how do you know I didn't loose my job since I but the rest of my stuff. in actual fact, I am currently stuck in the middle of a disability claim process, am not a pro musician (mainly because I have no experience on how to 'get in the biz') and have absolutley no income, stuck living with my parents, and have never made a dime of my music or songwriting. Thus 50$ is $50 more than I have, no matter how good a deal. In fact, I probably won't be around here as much since I have to cancel my tv and internet, plus I wrote this mainly for people just starting out who need to play around with some freebies before they even know how to judge the quality of one library or another. Obviously the number of similar threads to this show I'm not the only one, and some freebies are actually of instruments you simply won't find on any pro library, such as the particular homemade celtic harp that one fellow here made. I don't think any pro has rented it from him to sample for his Celtic collection. Only that harp will sound like that harp. Further, some samples like the recent post on the water cymbal, are very original and unique. (though that one is soon to be donationware and special license for commercial work is required. $20 if I remember correctly)

Just so you know.
    Thanks for the kind mention.

Hey Crazyvox, thanks for your post which I consider well-intentioned.

There's a lot of material around for free if you take the time to search the internet and are willing to build your own instruments from the samples you find. Sometimes, that way, you get more individual stuff, maybe not "high-end". but with its own personality. That was the origin of the sampling movement, after all ;-)

Best of luck

Nigel

Smile Re: Here are the Best Free Instruments

I don`t know this following link is legal, I found it by google... .

http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/Host/M...t-Grand-v2.exe
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    I don`t know this following link is legal, I found it by google... .

http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/Host/M...t-Grand-v2.exe
    That appears to be a mirror of the free maestro grand I already mentioned. If so, it is indeed legal, but since it is a an alternate site, please check Mats own site for license changes or restricition on sharing it, etc. It was extremely kind of him and the people hosting it with his permission. (I believe his site links to a a different external host)
    Last edited by crazyox; 04-03-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by yujade
    Thanks for the kind mention.
    Refresh my memory...are you the harp creator. If so, thanks again.

AND extra special thanks to Nickie Fønshauge for providing the Kontakt patch and all the help she has given people, especially me, with piano script problems and questions. (I hope I'm right in assume Nickie is a woman, some of our international friends have male names we are used to being female)

Also, please visit: http://crazyox.dmusic.com/ and consider listening to my liberal arrangement of the Scriabin Prelude in particular, (which used the piano script Nickie recommended. You might be the first listener. Thanks.

Oh, one more thing: I know nothing about the violin in the second last reply, so I can't say if its legal, but thanks for the link. If anyone thinks anything here is not legal, please say so and hopefully the replier will delete.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast