• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Solo Strad piece - Czardas

Share/Bookmark

First Solo Strad piece - Czardas

After getting theStradivari Solo Violin 2.0 in January, last weekend was the first time that I had a chance to work with it. I decided to do a solo piece with some variations in expression, so I went for Monti's Czardas. You can hear it at:

http://people.internet2.edu/~rdhobby/music/Monti-Czardas-v3.mp3

This software is GREAT! You almost forget that it is software and not a real instrument.

The only difficulty I ran into was doing long, slow slides. To get the portamento to work well I ended up having to put in some intermediary notes in the slide and then adjust the rate (using the velocity of the intermediate notes) to make the slide smooth. It is still not quite the way I would like it. Try doing a slow, one octave slide. If anyone has a better technique I would be glad to hear about it.

Russ

Re: First Solo Strad piece - Czardas

That sounds really good, Russ! I like the combination of the fast phrases and the sliding phrases. It is very expressive.

Nice work Russ,

I, like you haven't had my Strad for too long. I just think on this your reverb could be a smaller room, it isn't intimate enough for my taste also, on the slower passages the vibrato seems to be constant in intensity and speed. perhaps working the mod wheel and aftertouch control a bit more would help.
    I certainly agree with you on forgetting the fact that it's samples your playing, it really is a fabulous instrument and I hope to hear more from yours.

kind regards

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Thanks Ray. Good points on both the reverb and the articulation. I'll see what I can do about those.

Russ

Not bad, really.

I wish I would allow me to play it that comfy, hehe ... ;-)

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by rdhobby
    This software is GREAT! You almost forget that it is software and not a real instrument.
    This piece is GREAT and I almost forget that it is all software!!
    Well done, more: excellent!!

Raymond

Wow, Russ, great job on this -- first time out of
    the box or otherwise!

There were moments in this where it just about
    fooled me, I must say.

Musically, top-drawer, too -- fine interpretation of
    this piece; much enjoyed...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    I just think on this your reverb could be a smaller room, it isn't intimate enough for my taste also, on the slower passages the vibrato seems to be constant in intensity and speed. perhaps working the mod wheel and aftertouch control a bit more would help.
    Ray, I took your advice and did a revision with your suggestions. I think that is does sound much better that way.

You can find the latest at:
    http://people.internet2.edu/~rdhobby/music/Monti-Czardas-v4.mp3

Russ

this is the first time i've listened to the piece and overall i think its really good. it was nice how it had actual parts that differed from eachother but were still able to keep that "one piece" sound. there were times i thought that you could have mixed up the texture a little (i don't have mine yet, but i think thats the expression setting right?) on the long sustained notes. other than that i thought it was really cool.

how did you get itzhak perlman to play your tune?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

You did an outstanding job with this piece. I know this inside out because it used to be a very popular showpiece of mine in my younger days. I don't play the violin, but I played an excellent arrangement of the piece for flute and piano. It sounds wonderful with the Strad.

Thank you
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast