• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jeff Beal Cues from "Ugly Betty"

Orcas Island

Jeff Beal Cues from "Ugly Betty"

Jeff Beal has sent in a couple of cues from the ABC hit series "Ugly Betty", one with the Strad, ("She Knows") and one with the Gofriller cello playing the counter-melody ("Make Your Own Family")

She Knows

Make Your Own Family

Ugly Betty is a TV phenomena and is watched by millions of people each week. The Golden Globe award-winning television dramedy series (starring America Ferrera and Eric Mabius) is about an ordinary girl from Queens trying to fit into the world of high fashion.

Emmy award-winning composer (and NS forum member) Jeff Beal does the music for "Ugly Betty". Jeff also does the music for the USA series Monk, two HBO's series "Rome" and "Carnivale" (music nominated for an Emmy), wrote the scores for the movie "Pollac" and TNT's "Door to Door", has received an Emmy Award for his score for "Peggy and Dorothy", and is busy working on future hits. .

Jeff Beal was kind enough to grace the Northern Sounds forum with an Interview several years ago and answered many questions from forum members (see interview here). Maybe when Jeff has time we can do an updated interview. You can read Jeff's Interview here. You can visit Jeff's website at www.jeffbeal.com for more information about Jeff and to hear more of his music.

Thanks very much Jeff for sharing your music with us.

Wishing you continued success!

Gary Garritan

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Re: Jeff Beal Cues from "Ugly Betty" using Strad and Gofriller

Yes! Ugly Betty caught my attention when it first came out and much of it was the music.
    I usually watch it online when I need to catch up on episodes.

Jeff makes that show happen. I love his use of the accordian also.

thank you for colaborating with Gary and letting us peak into your career with these excerpts.

Your use of a variety of sounds is of course very clever, and I appreciate your talent and trust you are thrilled to be where you are musically.

Thank you Jeff,

thanks very much for sharing this here

Your " Make your own family"..., hmmmmmmm, I like it, those music comes directly to my heart.

Very best regards and thanks!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

New York, NY

Yes, I've been following Jeff's work on Ugly Betty... Great work, and very realistic working of the violin... Thanks very much for posting these... any way of finding out what episodes these cues were used on???

Re: Jeff Beal Cues from "Ugly Betty"

Jeff does amazing work! These were great to hear... despite them being cues, they're really enjoyable on their own as well, especially "Make Your Own Family." Many thanks, Jeff!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

thanks you all for the nice words and Gary for sharing these - "Betty" is a really fantastic show to write for.

I often use a wonderful LA area violinist on "Betty"- Sid Page. -That's Sid playing the vl. on "Make Your Own Family" - every week as I'm sketching Sid's parts I do it with the strad - which is perfect for getting the tango and emotional feel I'm going for in the cues - and as you can see a couple of times I haven't had time to track the live vl. and the Strad holds up very well in the mix-

The piece w/the cello in the counter line was esp. fun, as I often do use a real cello as well on the show, but didn't have time on this one- I recall hearing that cue on the air and forgot it was Gary's cello sample(!) -

Does ANYONE know the title of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QuDJOvOc5s
    it drives me nuts. PLZ

Thanks Jeff for letting us here your musical cues for these popular TV shows. It is particularly satisfying to hear some of Gary's library being used on professional projects.

Your cues are very descriptive. Thanks again, Jeff.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Maybe somebody can upload this 2 mp3's again please, because when open link error 404. Thanks

Go Back to forum