After three years I am still scoring music using the Music Creator 2002 that was bundled with the Edirol-HQ Synth that I use. I am pretty happy with it but it does have some bugs. When I want to open up some measures to insert a new sequence the notes shift okay but all of the envelopes and other events don't seem to be movable using the same edit operation. This means I have to manually tear them down and rebuiild them in their new locations; a very time-consuming task. If I upgrade I am wondering what is the best path for me? I never use MIDI devices (e.g. keyboards, you know with black-and-white keys not the QWERTY ones) and strictly use the computer interface for composition with generators and speakers for sound production. I use all of the different views for composition. I don't think I would ever use the system to "directly" put on a public concert or even record one so I don't need to accept multiple mic sources. I am very likely to want to create and mix the sounds for a 6-channel surround-sound video/movie production. My aim is to produce sound tracks for film and video with heavy emphysis on software synths and samplers. Music is very important but I am recently focusing on producing impessive sound effects and adding sub-woofer vibration to enhanse the viewer's experience. I have looked at the Sonar products and there seems to be a bewildering number of choices. The Cakewalk website doesn't go into great detail about their differences. I have also looked at the Finale website and it seems very impressive for its composition support but it might be weak in its other features. Can anyone give me a better idea of what my options are? Is Sonar the best choice for me considering what I want to do with it? If so then what variant? And will I need to add some sort of hardware to output to a surround-sound system? I would like to drive it directly from the app. Can anyone give me suggestions for the best app to support all of these features?

All suggestions are welcome...

Thanks, PabloMack