• Register
  • Help

Topic: Patch changes in Finale

Share/Bookmark

Patch changes in Finale

I'm delighted that with the assistance of forum members who donated their time and expertise to me, Finale 2007 and JABB are at least working amicably together (usually....). Has anyone else experienced the disappearance of Finale when minimizing it in Windows? Anyway, I digress.

My question is how to change 'patches' within Finale. I'm writing an arrangement that requires the reeds to 'double' on flute and clarinet, and the brass to use various mutes. Where do you find the list of instruments and their corresponding patch #'s so that I can change sounds in mid-arrangement? I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know where the resources are.

Thanks so much.

...Brent
    arranger1@rogers.com
    Swing Shift Big Band - Toronto

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Re: Patch changes in Finale

If you use GPO or JABB, you don't change patch, you change channel. You load each instrument with its own MIDI channel and then you switch between those channels. Or better yet, if there is a KeySwitch instrument that has all the articulations (e.g. mutes) you need, load this KS instrument and switch articulation with a KeySwitch.

Re: Patch changes in Finale

Thanks for responding to my question. What is key switch, and how does it work? I tried the channel change, but I'm arranging for a 17 piece band, and I'm running low on memory, so that doesn't seem to be the best option. Also, I'd be changing from open trumpet to muted trumpet on four different parts, so that would really tax my system. Add to that drums switching to brush kit in mid-tune and....well you get the idea.

Thanks for any information you can give me on key switches.

....Brent
    arranger1@rogers.com
    Swing Shift Big Band - Toronto

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Go Back to forum