• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL Special Edition Demo-- Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man

Share/Bookmark

VSL Special Edition Demo-- Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man

Here is my performance of Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man using the following VSL VI Special Edition instruments:

solo trumpet
    trumpet ensemble
    solo triple horn
    epic horns
    solo trombone
    solo bass trombone
    trombone ensemble
    tuba
    timpani
    bass drum
    tam tam

Please listen on big speakers and play it loud. This piece needs to be felt as well as heard.

The reverb is Altiverb 6 Amsterdam Concertgebouw IR.

http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5014

All comments and questions are welcome.

Best,
    Jay

Re: VSL Special Edition Demo-- Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man

WOW!!! The brass sound amazing!
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

simply put...wonderful work!

Cool Re: VSL Special Edition Demo-- Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man

This the mother of all the "epic/heroic" american military happy end, when the survived heroes come back after accomplishing a nearly impossible mission...;-))

(...nice thing Copland didn't write it for elite corps soldiers...)

The first solo sounds a little sinthy, but the rest is amazing (as usual when YOU arrange it...).

Good sounds for a "special edition"...is it the extended library?

It's great!!! The only thing is there's very little dynamic variation in this piece. My biggest gripe with VSL Pro has always been the massive timbre shift between velocity layers, and I'd be interested to hear how the VSIs fare in this respect. When you use a piece where the brass are consistently blowing the living daylights out of every note it's difficult to know.

Fantastic work Jay! As usual, my friend wanted to know what orchestra was playing the piece.

I feel the trumpets should have a more agressive timbre towards the end of the piece. They sound a little too controlled and consistent. (For the fanfare style, plus them lips get tired, ya know!)

I really enjoy how you can make the music come alive.

Best,

Reegs

Very good

SergeD

Jay,

One word to say: This track is a performance as you say, and nothing else. After the recent thread about licenses and stuff (no high jacking here intended), I just wanted to stress that in this case the rendering you've done is so carefully planted and worked that I consider it a 'performance' in it's own rights.

I personally, find nothing wrong with the track whatsoever! It is the most realistic brass I've heard. As a personal reference I would maybe prefer a "fatter" sound, but VSL is the real sound, at least for my experience as an audience to many conerts and recitals...

Thanks everyone for the supportive words.

Stephen-- Thank you for your honest reaction. But while I defend your right to dislike my version of Copland's Fanfare, I don't share your view that I "botched" this piece. I also believe that there is rarely one and only one way to perform a piece of music. Even Copland himself has recorded wildly different interpretations. I encourage you to listen to the version Copland conducted with the London Symphony Orchestra recorded on the Sony Classical Label. My version is more in the spirit of this later interpretation.

That said, I am not trying to force anyone to regard this as a definitive performance of this great work. It is primarily a vehicle to showcase the sound of the brass instruments in the VSL Special Edition. Since my version of the Faure's Pavane featured mostly woodwinds, I decided to use this wonderful fanfare to feature the brass. Hopefully, Copland isn't turning in his grave. I'd like to think that he'd be happy that people still love his music enough to try to realize it with the new tools we have available today. It is after all a fanfare for the "Comman Man." And the comman man has much greater access to sample libraries than to a real symphony orchestra.

Best,
    Jay

Fabio-- all the instruments I used are from the standard edition except the epic horns (8 horn ensemble) which are in the extended.

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum