• Register
  • Help

Topic: Special request - urgent ! Procol Harum

Share/Bookmark

Special request - urgent ! Procol Harum

Hi Folks,

yesterday a member of my wife's family died and she particularly loved the music of Procol Harum. Here daughter asked me if I could get a track form an old CD. Today I did some surfing on the Net and in the "real world" and all info I got was this:

Procol Harum with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (it MUST be this one!!)
    The track name: Conquistador
    Somebody shouted at me: A Portfolio CD
    Name of the album: A Winter Shade of Pale

We managed to get the location of that Cd in a local library, but this one was too far away to fetch it form there (and we had to pay subscription fees also, about €60,- ... after all a bit too expensive for just one track).

Anybody has this, knows where to download the MP3 version, etc.... I couldn't find it. I found a US site, but this one didn't allow me to download (restricted only to US).

Please help, we need that music before next wednesday.....

All help will be appreciated,

Raymond

Re: Special request - urgent ! Procol Harum

It's not a "winter shade of pale," it's whiter shade of pale. They were famous in the 70's and if you hear this song you will recognize it. I don't know where to find MP3's but I'll look, they are probably available on iTunes.
    http://www.procolharum.com/w/w9901.htm this has lyrics and a link to a live DVD, but looks like the link is not working, at least not on my computer.

edit: If you use the search on iTunes for "procal harum" it will bring them up, but not orchestral versions of the song. If you type "a whiter shade of pale" it will have this done by many other artists such as Sara Brightman" (orchestral) and Willy Nelson, and many others. The one by David Lanz (#10) is instrumental, piano and orchestra, it's very nice.

Just do a Google search for "A Whiter Shade of Pale." There are a lot of links which will show up, more than one of which will link you to the mp3.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

PS: My condolences for the loss of a loved one, your family is in my prayers.

Hi, Ray

I appreciate her taste in music--I've always had a special place in my heart for Procol Harum's works. Early "prog rock" which is still interesting to listen to. I'm rather sure there wasn't a rock band before them which featured acoustic piano as the lead instrument--!--for one item of interest.

Avoid the tracks done live with the Edmonton Orchestra. The better renditions are on the original studio-bound recordings. --I wasn't clear if you were looking for "Whiter Shade of Pale" (their most famous song) or "Conquistador,"--or exactly what. They were very prolific, many very interseting tracks from them. "A Salty Dog" "Shine on Brightly" "In Held Twas in I"--etc.

But have you found what you need through Googling, as was suggested here?

Randy
    rbowser

Sorry Guys,

no success. I had to be the one without lyrics. With the Edmonton Orchestra.
    I installed iTunes, QuickTime and even registered myself for buying this one.
    Did a search as proposed in other messages.

No success! Answer back: an error occurred!!!

I just spent several hours to get it, to listen to some demo tracks (there is even demo track - the first few 50 seconds - where they are talking about the setup and the beginning, not a single note was played ----> that is like a demo of Bill Gates ----- ) nothing helps.

So I gave up...... The conquistador is a winner (that is also the meaning of the word).

Thank you again,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Sorry Guys,

no success. I had to be the one without lyrics. With the Edmonton Orchestra.
    I installed iTunes, QuickTime and even registered myself for buying this one.
    Did a search as proposed in other messages.

No success! Answer back: an error occurred!!!

I just spent several hours to get it, to listen to some demo tracks (there is even demo track - the first few 50 seconds - where they are talking about the setup and the beginning, not a single note was played ----> that is like a demo of Bill Gates ----- ) nothing helps.

So I gave up...... The conquistador is a winner (that is also the meaning of the word).

Thank you again,

Raymond
    Raymond, open iTunes, click on the store if it opens in library instead of store, then type "A Whiter Shade of Pale" into iTunes search window at the top right. Unlike google it has to be spelled correctly, so if an error occurs check your spelling.

Everybody many thanks for your help and prayers.
    After all it wasn't Conquistador by Procol Harum.
    Another member of the family added some more info to this queste.

It was completely wrong initially. Not Conquistador and yes some string sounds. After a search and telephone marathon we discovered that it had to be "1492" The Conquest of Paradise by Vang-elis. The word conquest is similar to Conquistador and the fact that an orchestra(synthesized or not) had to play it made it all quite ambiguious.

This afternoon I got the right CD from the local library (yes, during the wintertime it is open on Sundays).

Again many thanks,

Raymond
    I had to write down the name Vang-elis because somehow it was translated into V followed by a lot of ~~~~~~~~~---- don't know why.

Go Back to forum